Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comprehension Advice

I saw someone post a while back about how they would, given their reading speed, read RC passages twice before tackling the questions. I'm curious what others think of this strategy since I've struggled with slowing my reading pace down.

Comments

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

I am a fast reader- I originally tried annotating the passage to slow me down but that was a disaster. I think what has really helped me on RC is starting to notice patterns. Is it a passage that compares two theories and then picks one? Is it a passage the describes a phenomenon? Or does it describe in great detail the unique art of a random artist? This helps me focus (slow down) because I am looking for structure. I see that there is an opinion from person 1- I wonder if there is an opinion by person 2... Ah there is! Okay... will the author take a stance? Ah here the author is suggesting new evidence favors theory 2 (and so on). Understanding structure and really having a good understanding of the macro-vision of the passage (low res sum) helped me slow down.

I will say that RC is one of those things that works differently for everyone. I wish you luck!

• Legally_SpeakingLegally_Speaking Alum Member
    553 karma

@ChaimtheGreat Great, thanks! This is the approach I've been working on developing

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I would pick one sentence out of each paragraph and use that as the main idea. Then I would craft a nice little story together using those statements. Also, I think it is best to do @"Accounts Playable"'s method of summarizing the passages. I used that when I was struggling and got much faster as I continued.

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

@JustDoIt said:
    I would pick one sentence out of each paragraph and use that as the main idea. Then I would craft a nice little story together using those statements. Also, I think it is best to do @"Accounts Playable"'s method of summarizing the passages. I used that when I was struggling and got much faster as I continued.

Yes, the BR process that @“AccountsPlayable” outlined in his webinar has been very helpful for increasing my RC performance.

553 karma

@"paulmv.benthem" what is the name of that webinar by chance?

1032 karma

It's "David's Six Tips on Doing it Right" (https://7sage.com/webinar/davids-six-tips-on-doing-it-right/). I often return to this webinar when I need to reorient myself. Hope it helps!

edited July 2018 553 karma

Fantastic, thanks! @"paulmv.benthem"

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

@"paulmv.benthem", It's OK if you don't remember, but by any chance do you recall where in the webinar he talks about this? Thanks so much for your guidance.

1032 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    @"paulmv.benthem", It's OK if you don't remember, but by any chance do you recall where in the webinar he talks about this? Thanks so much for your guidance.

It's "David's Six Tips on Doing it Right" (https://7sage.com/webinar/davids-six-tips-on-doing-it-right/). I often return to this webinar when I need to reorient myself. Hope it helps!