Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skipping for the win

AlexRexegerAlexRexeger Alum Member
edited March 2023 in General 178 karma

For the love of all that is holy please tell me how to skip questions. I can skip like nobody’s business with LG but I never skip any LR or RC question. I always finish my sections but I think this is really inhibiting me from getting higher LR scores because I sink the most time on hard questions and I’m noticing in BR that I’m getting a ton of easy ones wrong to make up for lost time. Any advice? #help

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I think there are webinars on skipping strategies. You should look around for one if you want detailed advice.

But here is what I did.
    - If the stimulus made no sense to me, I moved on.
    - If I thought the question type (specifically parallel reasoning) would be time consuming, I moved on without reading the passage first. I believe once I got better at those question types, I didn't need to skip them at all.

• AlexRexegerAlexRexeger Alum Member
    178 karma

I unfortunately do not have access to that webinar anymore because my access expired. Also, I did take a look at it and I didn’t really feel like it was necessarily that helpful. Maybe that’s just me.

• Victor WuVictor Wu Alum Member
    661 karma

For LR, potential reasons I will skip:
    1. I read the stimulas and don’t understand it.
    2. I crossed of all the AC.
    3. I used POE and was left with one answer choice I don’t feel confident about. I would put a dash next to it to indicate low priority.
    4. It’s a SA question. I know I can map it, but at that moment, I’m feeling panicky.
    5. I lost focus at the stimulus. I reread it and still can’t gain focus.
    6. I’m choosing between 2 AC and both sound good.

Skipping should be a swift and confident decision. If you don’t know it at that moment, then you don’t know it. Better to bank time and use it later when you have a second look.

Hope that helps.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

If I have to reread most of the answer choices more than once, I skip the question. If I've gone through my process of elimination and I've eliminated every answer choice, I skip it. If it just feels like it's going to take forever, don't even think about it; just skip it.