Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timeframe for Notifying Schools After Acceptance?

Kailani HKailani H Alum Member

Hi all!

I will be applying to several law schools in areas that I have never visited before. Assuming I get accepted by those schools, I would like to visit the area before making a final decision about attending the school to make sure that the city/culture would be a good fit for me.

Does anyone know how long you have to notify a school of your decision after you have received an acceptance letter? I plan to apply as soon as applications open, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

They generally don't give you X number of days to respond. It's a set deposit date, and most deposits are due in mid-April to early May. So, it more depends on when you apply and how quickly they give decisions. I applied late last year (end of January, some Feb) and had very little time between acceptance and deposit deadlines. I made it to a couple of Admitted Students Weekends (ASW) though, which was very helpful. I'd recommend attending some of those if you can.

If you apply early, you're likely to get majority of your decisions in late December to February, which should give you enough time to visit. A lot of schools also offer travel reimbursements to attend ASWs, so that can help offset costs of travel.

• Kailani HKailani H Alum Member
    15 karma

Leah, thank you so much for the information! I'm new to the process, so everything you've mentioned here is incredibly helpful.

Thanks again :smile: