Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Point at issue questions

Silver_37Silver_37 Alum Member

Hello everyone!
I am having trouble with point at issue questions and I know that you can either make a chart or just use your intuition.
I use the intuitive method and most of the time I overthink and choose answers that aren’t even mentioned by the two speakers. What if I try solving these questions like how JY solves the questions on comparative passages? Like read the first person’s argument and eliminate some answers and then read the next person’s argument to choose the right answer?
Does anyone use this kind of method?
Thank you!!

Comments

• edited August 2018 1025 karma

I tried that method at first but it was not for me. These disagree/agree questions have to be shorter, probably a max of 3/4 sentences each person. So, I underline the main ideas each person talks about. I take mental note of similar ideas being presented and remember the viewpoints both have on each issue (pretty much sum up how person 1 feels before going to the other person). Underlining helps a bit to see the common aspects talked about visually too.

I think this is more of an RC approach, but it has been working great for me.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    edited August 2018 2124 karma

Absolutely! That's actually how JY suggests to approach comparative passages. I use this method and found it helped me avoid choosing answers that were not supported by the specific passages in question. For LR I use this approach when I can't seem to catch the issue.

• 1025 karma

Sorry for the highjack.

How have you liked this method for RC? @Kermit750

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    edited August 2018 2124 karma

Hey! @TheDeterminedC I've found that reading passage A and trying to eliminate answer choices based on just reading passage A, and then going back to do the same for B helped me tremendously. I found it difficult to keep the ideas discussed in the two ideas separate, and it can get tricky for questions where you're asked what was discussed in A and not B, but going through the questions like I do, I can easily eliminate what doesn't apply to a passage either because that wasn't mentioned at all, or some other error. Hope this helps.

• Silver_37Silver_37 Alum Member
    115 karma

@TheDeterminedC @Kermit750 Thank you so much guys!!!(: