Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law School application resume as a STEM person

MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
edited August 2018 in Law School Admissions 350 karma

Hi,

I tried to summarize the question in the title itself, but my problem right now is my resume reads like "Used supervised learning algorithms to create xxx" , "Developed web applications using Java, Javascript, REST, etc." and while that sounds good for an employment resume, I would assume law school ad-coms would like to look at something different (less technical) and maybe more applicable to proving my credibility in a different manner?
Am I correct in thinking so?

What are some ways I can achieve this? Any pointers would be helpful!

Thank you.

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I don't think that you need to change it too much, honestly. If there are ways of explaining what you did without using technical words that people outside of your field are unlikely to know the meaning of, then I would do so. I think that the point of a law school resume though is less to show specific skills and more to show that you've actually been doing things, making progression, are dedicated, etc. So if you worked at a STEM job for say five years, it's going to be more important that you were there for five years than it is that you specifically did XYZ.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

You definitely want to put it in terms that they can understand. Your resume for law school is fundamentally different than your employment resume for any technical field. You need to adapt it to meet the needs of the people reading it. If you think there’s a good chance that they won’t understand what you are talking about, change the wording to be more accessible to the layman.

• xenonhexafluoroxenonhexafluoro Alum Member
    428 karma

Hi, I'm a fellow STEM applicant. The advice I've gotten in the past is that technical terms are okay so long as the context is clear so that if you're referring to the language you coded in, for example, it's clear to the reader that you are referencing a programming language.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

I have a STEM resume that my career center stated was very well done when I applied for jobs, but my Law School adviser essentially told me it was trash. So short answer is yes, you will need to rewrite your resume and spell out everything to make it understandable.