Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking old practice tests

asorensen922asorensen922 Member
in General 14 karma

Is there any downside to primarily taking practice tests prior to 2007? Would practice tests from 1999 or 2002, for example, adequately reflect what I'll see on the November 2018 LSAT?

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

They will have some differences but they are definitely valuable. The same fundamental skills are being tested. I'd recommend that you drill sections or question types from anything under 40, use 40-50 for section drilling and then anything above 50 for PT's.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

There is one big significant difference - the comparative reading questions didn't appear until 2007, so you're going to have very little practice material for those if you're doing pre-2007 tests. Beyond that, I do feel like there are some noticeable differences. They are more subtle, but I think LR questions have been worded a little differently and there tend to be trends in the tests, particularly with games. I think recent tests have had more difficult miscellaneous game types. So there will be some noticeable differences. I originally started PTing with tests primarily in 50s and 60s, then when I switched to PTing in the 70s, I had a significant score drop and found LR much more challenging. It took a little bit to get used to, but I think tests from 70 on are more reflective of the material you will have on test days now.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I wouldn't "primarily" do them, but doing them certainly won't hurt. If it's a matter of having used up the newer ones already, then I'd use the old ones and redo some sections from the newer tests.

• Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
    346 karma

I wouldn’t take your scores from them too seriously, but definitely still do them because a lot of the best takers I know even reuse pt’s...that’s the point to familiarize yourself with the format of the test and teach yourself to see the patterns behind the questions.

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

I do think the games got harder on the newer tests.