Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people bluff about their LSAT to others?

Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
in General 346 karma

Just for some fun lol and a thread to help people vent. Do you think some people bluff about their pt’s when taking to classmates and friends?

Comments

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

Most people I talk to have no idea how the LSAT is scored or what the scoring means. I imagine that is the case for a lot of people. What’s the point of lying? Especially when you get the question “did you pass?” After taking a practice test. And for those that actually know about the LSAT, I would imagine people want honest feedback or encouragement. Why lie?

Although I’m sure some people do lie, seems silly to me.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

I don't know about sharing inflated scores, but I did witness someone sharing a deflated score.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited September 2018 3652 karma

I think people might lie in the sense that they don’t divulge that their high PT score was accomplished without bubbling in the answers and with an additional minute or so given here and there. Sometimes it’s really hard for me to believe ie that someone’s PT average was a 172 from just going to an in person course for 8 hours a week, never studying outside of the course, and then they get a 165 on the LSAT and don’t want to retake.
    I’ve met a lot of people who lie about their lsat/gpa after they got into law school.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I'm absolutely sure there are people out there who lie about their LSAT. I'm also pretty sure that most, if not all, people here on the board are pretty honest haha. We're just here for support and to learn together. But are there obnoxious people who inflate their scores a bit to try to show off? Oh... I'm sure they're out there. I would smell out that bluff pretty quickly and not want to associate with those kinds of folks though haha.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

absolutely.

who cares though? give zero ****s whether someone has a 120 or 180. care about your own score

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1777 karma

I'm a total perfectionist, I have a strong work ethic, and people believe that translates into me being some kind of genius. So when I tell people that I'm not doing well, they think I'm full of shit and that my standards must be out of control. My mom, on the other hand, went to Penn for law school back when it was ranked even higher than it is now. When I talk to her, I avoid talking about numbers as much as possible. She will ask about specifics sometimes, but I just feel like an idiot compared to her. In all honesty, I did tell her at one point that I was averaging a certain score that happened to be my highest PT score. So yeah, that would be some bluffing.

• Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
    346 karma

I think we’re all just human and sometimes it’s natural to lie or exaggerate a bit when we’re put on the spot; everyone has a black box after all. Also, I didn’t mean whether people on 7Sage bluff. I would imagine 7Sage is fairly transparent because people are seeking better advice and therefore give more accurate input on their progress.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    I'm a total perfectionist, I have a strong work ethic, and people believe that translates into me being some kind of genius. So when I tell people that I'm not doing well, they think I'm full of shit and that my standards must be out of control. My mom, on the other hand, went to Penn for law school back when it was ranked even higher than it is now. When I talk to her, I avoid talking about numbers as much as possible. She will ask about specifics sometimes, but I just feel like an idiot compared to her. In all honesty, I did tell her at one point that I was averaging a certain score that happened to be my highest PT score. So yeah, that would be some bluffing.

High achieving perfectionists united lol ... I’m slowly trying to slow down the self talk

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Remove the need to be perfect - can be a long journey for some especially for us that grew up with that mentality

• OneFortyDotSixOneFortyDotSix Alum Member
    634 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    In all honesty, I did tell her at one point that I was averaging a certain score that happened to be my highest PT score. So yeah, that would be some bluffing.

I bluffed to my Mom once too. It was my last PT before the July test and didn't want her to worry. I was already worried enough tbh lol.