Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much time should I spend on "difficult" RC passages.

So I'm drilling hard RC passages and I seem to have the most success when I spend I little extra time on the questions. So instead of finishing in the 7-8 minute range I'd finish these passages in about 8-10 Minutes. When doing full length Prep Tests, is it ever advisable to spend that much time on an RC passage? I can't imagine being able to make up for extra time by finishing a passage in like 5 minutes.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

I definitely spend ten minutes on some passages. If it's a harder passage with tons of questions, I think it's very often necessary. But the reverse must also be true: if it's an easier passage with only a few questions, you've got to be able to balance out the time.

There's no reason you have to finish a passage in five minutes (although I bet you can and have when you've hit P4 at the 5min warning), but about six:thirty to seven minutes is a good target time on easier passages with only five or six questions. So you've got to decide: Do you want to be able to take that ten minutes when you need it or not? Adjust your strategy according to you answer.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    I definitely spend ten minutes on some passages. If it's a harder passage with tons of questions, I think it's very often necessary. But the reverse must also be true: if it's an easier passage with only a few questions, you've got to be able to balance out the time.

There's no reason you have to finish a passage in five minutes (although I bet you can and have when you've hit P4 at the 5min warning), but about six:thirty to seven minutes is a good target time on easier passages with only five or six questions. So you've got to decide: Do you want to be able to take that ten minutes when you need it or not? Adjust your strategy according to you answer.

I can dig that. I could definitely move a lot faster on some of the easier passages. Just need to be more confident and trust my memory.