Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA for admissions: Why X essays "hidden" in school applications

LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
edited September 2018 in Law School Admissions 4850 karma

TL; DR version: Start your apps early to ensure you know all of the requirements.

While attempting to nurse my bruised ego back to an acceptable level (thanks to yet another underwhelming LSAT performance), I started my actual LSAC school applications this morning. I'm applying to 3 schools, each of which I have researched exhaustively on their websites and on other forums. Only 1 of the 3 schools has a "Why X" requirement published on their admissions page, which, like any good obsessive law school applicant, I have already written. However, in each of the other 2 school LSAC applications, there are specific questions that lead to a "Why X" essay (and an additional "What ties do you have to the area" essay). I groaned when I saw these questions because I thought I was largely in the edit / revise phase of my application materials and now have to draft 3 more substantive essays (2 Why Xs and 1 What ties).

I realize its a first world problem, but still: Come on, man.

https://i.gifer.com/304v.gif

Comments

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

What does this mean: "However, in each of the other 2 school LSAC applications, there are specific questions that lead to a "Why X" essay (and an additional "What ties do you have to the area" essay)."?

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited September 2018 4850 karma

@Bamboosprout In the LSAC application for the two schools that do not have “Why X” essays as a requirement on their school admissions website, they both included questions that stated, “Tell us why you want to attend our school (500 word limit) and (1000 word limit)”. One of them also asked “What ties do you have to the metro (insert city) area (1000 word limit)”. Hence this thread...

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited September 2018 4850 karma

Full disclosure: I'm an idiot.

The prompts were for comments that were 500 / 1000 characters not words. You think I would have caught that since I've spent the last year parsing language and reading for comprehension. My wife is happy she doesn't have to read more essays.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/05fedc483c61474221e80a4e5cb3db9a/tenor.gif?itemid=4935479