Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Submitting application documents (file type)

LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
edited September 2018 in Law School Admissions 4850 karma

Would it be best practice to submit documents (resume, PS, why X, etc) as PDFs instead of word documents? In my overly obsessive little law school applicant mind, I'm imaging all sorts of unintentional formatting / processing errors occurring at some point after I hit submit to the point where the document appears before a decision maker. Is this just a symptom of too-much time thinking about this or would it help to submit documents as PDFs?

File type
  1. Which format should I submit application materials?22 votes
    1. Word
        4.55%
    2. PDF
      81.82%
    3. Dude, just relax. tens of thousands of applicants do this every year. They have it figured out.
      13.64%

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Over-thinking haha. The system converts it to PDF I think. And it allows you to preview before you submit. I can see my apps from last year, they all end up in one long PDF with the application. I used Word and no formatting problems at all. Converting probably wouldn't hurt but there's no need for it. :)

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

I am going to submit with PDF personally.

• Nabintou-1Nabintou-1 Alum Member
    410 karma

No resume (specifically) formatting issues? @"Leah M B"

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@Nabintou said:
    No resume (specifically) formatting issues? @"Leah M B"

Not that I saw. I didn't use any particularly unusual formatting though. It probably wouldn't hurt to convert to PDF, but I didn't have any trouble. And again, you're able to review it before transmitting too.

• Nabintou-1Nabintou-1 Alum Member
    410 karma

Gotcha. Kk, thanks!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I’m on a Mac so I convert my .pages to pdf as there are often formatting issues when I convert to word.

• 180degrees180degrees Alum Member
    121 karma

.PDF all the way—it puts a freeze on formatting so what you see on the screen is what the recipient will get.