Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

File has received initial review. No decision made. Application on hold?

pgv2013pgv2013 Alum Member

Can someone help me understand what this means? I've received an email saying my initial review has been completed and the committee is not ready to make a decision and that a decision will be made sometime in the spring. Is this different from being on the waitlist? Should I consider writing a LOCI? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances?

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I think if someone's considered for a waiting list, they get a letter asking if you still want to apply. Spring is a general term and maybe this is the last phase of their waves and you could very well get an earlier result. If it was on hold, I think they'll let you know. When is their final deadline?

• pgv2013pgv2013 Alum Member
    59 karma

Final deadline to apply is March 1st. It didn't ask if I wanted to remain on any kind of list, it just stated that an initial review had been completed but they weren't ready to give a decision and that they would provide a decision during the spring semester. Maybe they are just seeing how their class shapes up before they grant too many acceptances? I'm not sure - I do know it is not good for my anxiety!

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    796 karma

A good number of schools seem to be doing this right now (delaying decisions, waiting to see what the applicant pool looks like), so it's nothing unusual. It's just been a bit of an unusual application cycle. Most schools just don't outright tell you that they're doing this--they just hold your file and make you wait out. So if you ask me, it's nice that this school emailed you so that you're not waiting for an immanent decision and know it's going to take longer!