PT46.S2.Q23 - Whoever is kind is loved by somebody

The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member
edited September 2018 in Logical Reasoning 662 karma

I was able to get this question right but was not sure about the negation of "anyone".

so the negation of anyone is someone???

Admin note: edited title
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-46-section-2-question-23/

Comments

• BumblebeeBumblebee Member
    edited September 2018 640 karma

Negation of "no one" is "someone".

Usually, "Anyone" means "everyone" or "all".
    So the negation of "anyone... is X" would be "some people are not...X"

But, in the context of this particular argument, "anyone" is used to mean "somebody".

"If you love anyone, you are happy" means "if you love at least one person/somebody, you are happy". This is different from saying, "If you love everyone, you are happy". The first interpretation is correct in the context.

With this in mind, you can take the contrapositive of answer choice D) to see that this answer choice bridges the gap between the premise and the conclusion.

Whoever loves ((no one)) is/ loved by [no one]
    Contrapositive: One who is be loved by [somebody]/ loves ((somebody/"anyone"))

• The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member
    662 karma

@happyLSAT said:
    Negation of "no one" is "someone".

Usually, "Anyone" means "everyone" or "all".
    So the negation of "anyone... is X" would be "some people are not...X"

But, in the context of this particular argument, "anyone" is used to mean "somebody".

"If you love anyone, you are happy" means "if you love at least one person/somebody, you are happy". This is different from saying, "If you love everyone, you are happy". The first interpretation is correct in the context.

With this in mind, you can take the contrapositive of answer choice D) to see that this answer choice bridges the gap between the premise and the conclusion.

Whoever loves ((no one)) is/ loved by [no one]
    Contrapositive: One who is be loved by [somebody]/ loves ((somebody/"anyone"))

thank you! I am an ESL taker so I was confused whether "anyone" in that context means "someone" when approaching this question; thanks for the clarification!

• BumblebeeBumblebee Member
    640 karma

@"Testing..." My pleasure! Glad I could help :)

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member ๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒ
    1277 karma

Yeah I have done countless LR problems but this is one I remember. Conditional difficulty at its finest.

• The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member
    662 karma

@ChaimtheGreat said:
    Yeah I have done countless LR problems but this is one I remember. Conditional difficulty at its finest.

I feel like SA questions on 75+ are trickier than before;