Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the "fundamentals"?

This might be the dumbest question of all time, and I think I know the answer. But I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Can someone outline what the fundamentals for LR are?

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

(Not an exhaustive list)

lawgic fluency
    common reasoning flaws on the lsat
    identifying argument parts
    understanding how to weaken/strengthen an argument

• Redentore3337Redentore3337 Alum Member
    350 karma

@NotMyName said:
    (Not an exhaustive list)

lawgic fluency
    common reasoning flaws on the lsat
    identifying argument parts
    understanding how to weaken/strengthen an argument

Thank you kind sir!

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

Another big one would be identifying and translating what the question stem is asking you to do. I would consider that a fundamental aspect of both LR and RC.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

It's hard to decide what counts as a fundamental skill, and what counts as a necessary skill. I think there are a lot of skills that are necessary for high scores that fall outside of the realm of the fundamentals. These would be things like skipping strategies, question type strategies and timing strategies to name a few.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme Very true. I think the question here is along the lines of when a person on the board asks for help breaking a plateau and we all ask about BR to see if you have "fundamentals" down. I think of issues like timing, skipping, etc to be more high level skills. First you have to know how to do the problems. Hence, fundamentals.

Agreed with all of the ones listed above. I generally think of it as: you understand all the question types and how to do them. Recognize common question stems. Can easily break down a stimulus into premises/conclusion. Have common flaws memorized. Very comfortable and quick with lawgic. Someone with a 170+ BR score has the fundamentals down in my book, regardless of what their timed score is.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@"Leah M B" I generally agree with your last comment regarding BR score. The only exception I think is for those who manage to score 170+ on their first PT. In my case, I got a 149 timed diagnostic but a 170 BR score. Despite my BR score, there were a lot of things I didn’t know about the test that I’d consider to be fundamentals. I had strong logical reasoning and intuition to begin with, which I suppose are “fundamental” to the test. But the test fundamentals, in my opinion, are a combination of timed and untimed skills. You need both to do well, not just one or the other. It’s like a push-pull between BR and timed strategy where you push your BR and then you pull your score up to your BR through strategy.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

To add to this, the question of did I get the stimulus correct when watching video later.