Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to study for the LSAT while in school

Hope2018Hope2018 Yearly Member
in General 76 karma

Hi guys,

I am currently a senior in college and I'm having extreme difficulty finding time to study for the LSAT. I haven't really looked at the LSAT for the three weeks because of school, and I really do not want for this to continue.
To briefly explain, I have classes, and also 22 hours of internship weekly. And because my classes are advanced seminars, I find myself doing my homework on the weekends with no time to study for the LSAT. Can anyone give me advice? I feel like some people have worse schedules than me, and do stellar on the LSAT. Please tell me how you guys studied for this exam. Also my goal is a 165 + and I have been hitting the low 150's. And I am thinking to take the test the earliest March 2019 or June/July 2019.

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I take it you want to apply next fall and start law school in 2020? I think that for now it's okay to really focus on doing well in your classes and let the LSAT take a bit of a backseat. Don't ignore it completely, but maybe just aim for five or ten hours a week. Your GPA after you graduate is permanent, so you should make it your priority while you're in school. For next year's cycle, even if you take the LSAT in the fall you'll be in good shape.

Having said all that, it just takes a lot of hard scheduling work. If you can get up an hour earlier, do so. The best thing to do (if you can manage) would be to dedicate your weekdays to your internship and school work and then save the weekends for LSAT and fun stuff.

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

As someone who is a senior in undergrad and studied for the LSAT during the school years, it depends a lot on your major. I knew my course load was manageable and I knew I wanted to go to law school early. I planned my entire college schedule around my Junior year as I knew I would be taking the LSAT then. But, at the end of the day, GPA is permanent. Law School isn't going anywhere. Both your GPA and your LSAT need love and attention. I wouldn't rush the LSAT, if push comes to shove- you can take it in September and still be ready for the cycle.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

First of all, I'd shoot for next September. The priority for you at this point is your GPA. It counts almost as much as the LSAT does, so don't take it for granted. If you try to study for early 2019 tests, or even June 2019, you'll have to do 100% of your prep during school. To put this in perspective, I studied through my junior year of college and was able to improve from a 149 to a 158 by the beginning of summer. It wasn't until September test before I started scoring around 165 consistently. I made more progress in two and a half months of summer with a part-time job than I did in 9 months while I was in school.

That being said, there are certainly tips that I have for studying while in school. Number one, start off by going to the library and studying hard for 30 minutes. Then do 35 minutes, 40 minutes, 45, until you can work up to studying around an hour on the test every day. And by this I mean real studying, not checking facebook or doodling. A big part of time management for this test is realizing that you can fit an hour or two of studying into your schedule if you build up to it and test your limits. At this point, you have a year to score where you want to be, so testing your limits early on is going to give you the greatest return on investment.

The second thing that I would recommend is to get to logic games as early as you can. Fool-proofing LG is one of the few things that you can easily do while in school. It's different than what you normally do in school, and you'll see real progress if you spend a couple months fool-proofing a few games every day. I made the mistake of starting my fool-proofing after the school year ended. I realized that I could easily have done a few games every day during the school year without burning out. It will only take two hours a day for a little over two months and you'll essentially be done with LG.

Good Luck :)