Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hybrid schools?

AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
edited October 2018 in Off-topic 2689 karma

I keep getting emails from Mitchell Hamlin, and it got me to really think about hybrid schools (online and intensive in-person classes).
Where I live, it is 4 hours to the nearest law school. I would have to move and live away from home, causing hardship at home and racking up student loan Bill's in the meantime. It is not preferable, but it's the only options here at all. So, a hybrid program is looking really appealing to me right now. I'm actually shocked that ASU hasnt already done this, and I'll probably email them to see if maybe they are considering it in the near future. They already do a vast amount of online degrees and classwork.
Anyway, I wanted to know what folks thought of Mitchell Hamlin and Syracuse Law. There are three schools as of the 2019 year, but Southwestern is looking less appealing to me than the other two. I want a law degree, but I dont want a University of Phoenix kind of law degree that might not help me (sorry South Western). So, I would love any knowledge or feedback from fellow 7Sagers. What say you?

Hybrid program: Yay or Nay?
  1. If you were in my shoes, would you possibly go to a hybrid program?12 votes
    1. No! You'd miss out on connections, mote experience, etc.
      91.67%
    2. Sure! It would lessen debt significantly, and be better for family.
        8.33%

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

For context, my wife has doctorate #1 and is pursuing doctorate #2 both through hybrid programs like you describe, so I'm a fan of them for certain things. However, as far as I know, the ABA does not let you sit for the bar if your JD is through a class setting such as this. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I know I'm not an expert.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

They do! ABA expanded their rules in the past couple years (including this year) which allows for a very significant portion of classes to be done online now. Mitchell Hamline seemed to be the test, and now that those graduates have graduated, and are doing remarkably well, they have begun to relax some rules.
    I just sent an email to the dean of law at ASU. I would wait if they are considering this. A week or weekend from time to time there is easier to accomplish than Minnesota or NY.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

That's good to know. I still don't think I would change my vote, but I know you have a whole lot of other variables then just the law school going on in your life. Definitely food for thought and an option worthy of consideration.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I should note, on top of allowances, it looks like Hamline also has a conditional from the ABA to allow for the extra beyond limits.