Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RC Improvement

mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
in General 757 karma

Hi everyone,

So far I have taken 9 RC timed sections. On all 9 RC timed sections I do at worst -10 and at best -7. My BR score is usually around -3. I am looking for advice on how to improve from here. I usually finish all four passages right on time, meaning I typically only have around 30 seconds to spare at the end. My average passage reading time is around 3 minutes. I notice I tend to spend most of my time on the questions, I have been trying to implement a skipping strategy so I don't spin my wheels on any one question.

Strategies I have tried:

1. Spending 10 minutes on each of the first 3 passages by confirming as many answers as I can by referring back to the passage and then essentially speed reading and "throwing a hail Mary for the 4th passage"

2. Increasing my speed + skipping questions so I finish all passages and have a reasonable shot at answering questions - this is my most recent strategy.

I have seen the slightly greater improvements using the second strategy.

I do not have a consistent notation strategy for marking up the passage, I have just been focusing on understanding as much as I can and underlining what I believe to be important sentences.

What is the best way to improve from here?

Should I continue to drill RC sections, knowing that the actual test consists of 4 passages at a time, or should I work on perfecting my abilities on single passages?

I would love to break this plateau. Ideally I would like my average RC section to be -5 or better.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Comments

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

Have you mentally been "diagnosing" RC passages as you go? One of the strategies 7Sage is big on is understanding passage structure. There are generally "types" of passages. Is it a science passage? If so, is it a biographical or phenomenon passage? Oh, this is a law passage... is it a two opinion type passage or is it comparative? Understanding passage types allowed me to understand where the passage was going before I even got there. This allowed me to read quicker and understand question faster, giving me more time at the end. I believe there were some really helpful webinars breaking down RC passage types. You can learn this skill, but it will develop on its own the more RC passages you do. Nine is not a ton.

Lastly, don't rush this. Develop the fundamentals of RC then do a passage or two. When you are mastering these passages then move to timed sections. Most of your time should be spent on timed sections, but don't be afraid to step back and really dissect a passage or two. RC was my worst section though, so I feel you 100%. Good luck!

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

@ChaimtheGreat Thanks for the insight! I will look for webinars on RC. Did you use the MM and Low resolution summaries? If not, what is your notation strategy? I don't "diagnose" RC passages, I think I will start.

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

I did to some extent but I would try to notate as little as possible. Through a lot of practice I was able to put a lot of the low res summaries in my head. I found personally, that too much notation slowed me down and distracted me- took away my ability to see the passage as a whole.

757 karma

@ChaimtheGreat nice, I agree notation can slow a person down. I will have to give that a try!

• The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member
    662 karma

I would recommend:

1) develop a system of notation strategies [I bracket the main point of each paragraph; box for names; star for extreme words (not, sole, best, etc];

2) before going to the question, I skim the MC of each paragraphs and hit the first question

3) do not confirm every single question because it will be waste of time (for me)

4) I try to save the comparative for the last because it requires more mental energies from me

I miss from 1 to 4 on RC; you should experiment with different strategies to see what works for you!

757 karma

@"Testing..." Thanks for the pointers! I agree that having a consistent strategy is key. That RC score is amazing! Sounds like you're going to crush the test! Well, back to trial and error haha.

• The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member
    662 karma

@mjmonte17 thank you! sorry for being away for two days as i was preparing for the October test; good luck with the test as well!