Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NYC LSAC Forum Debrief

Andrew AlterioAndrew Alterio Alum Member
in General 394 karma

Here are some thoughts from the LSAC Forum in NYC. Of course, this is all my own opinion based on today's experience and should not necessarily be taken as the word of God! No, I'm not that haughty...
First, the workshops were not that illuminating, at least for me. Perhaps if you're entirely unfamiliar with the process, there would be some benefit, but for most students, you'd use your time more effectively by chatting with the admissions officers.
Second, business casual is fine. For some reason, I was a bit apprehensive about not wearing a suit, even though I had seen posts saying that business casual was appropriate. However, although most of the admissions officers wore more formal clothes, a majority of the students wore business casual attire.
Third, bring a briefcase or bag with you. I cannot stress how important this is for you! Every school will give you an equivalent of a couple of trees worth of flyers and glossy magazines titled "101 reasons to come to UMichigan!" If you plan on taking them with you, bringing a sturdy bag or briefcase is vital. LSAC did provide the classic tote bag, however. So that will probably be enough for most people's needs.
Fourth, try to give a face to the name. In my estimation, the Forum can be used most effectively by building rapport with the reps in addition to asking specific questions. Use some humor particular self-deprecating. You want to move past the mechanistic speech each one of them have stored in their heads. One person whom I spoke to sounded like a robot mechanically answering questions with little thought or personality. Obviously, don't go overboard or try to be something that you aren't, but leaving an impression (even just that you're personable) seems important. I think thanking for coming to the forum and chatting with you is a great way to leave an impression. I asked the Yale Law admissions officer--with whom I spoke with for a while--for a selfie, and he happily acquiesced!! Don't be shy. Most of them were quite personable. Remember, they'll have all your stats when you apply, but they won't know you. Building rapport at the Forum can make your application stand out.
Fifth, comfort the 2/3 of law schools no one is interested in. The contrast was stark. It was like a speed dating event in which only one-third of the people aroused interest. I felt so sorry for the South Dakota Law School. I mean no one came over to them. So, do your good deed for the day and make them feel desired!