Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your techniques for staying focused while taking a PT?

Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
in General 2186 karma

At least once or twice during a PT I'll catch myself losing interest or feeling tired. I'm sure I'm not the only one who runs into this issue. Are there any techniques or tricks that can help re-energize you mid section? I know sometimes changing my posture helps. In undergrad I would to raise my hand and speak if I found myself getting tired. That seemed to help so perhaps quietly reading the stimulus under your breath can achieve a similar result. Yawning is also something that seems to positively affect alertness and puts you in a more relaxed state. I'd love to hear how you all stay alert!

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

If I get distracted I try to just take a few breaths and close my eyes to re focus. Literally EVERY time I have ever taken a PT, I have had a song stuck in my head. Every time. Not even the same song either. It's the worst but also kind of funny

• nmmizokaminmmizokami Alum Member
    128 karma

I also like to close my eyes and take some deep breaths. Focusing on the rhythm of my heartbeat while taking the breaths helps immensely.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

LSAT is long so it is bound to happen. There is a reason most lectures are limited to under 1 hour (people stop paying attention). Each individual section is independent of other sections in the test, so during each 35 minute section you have to try really hard to stay on task. It is less daunting to persevere to concentrate for 35 minutes than it is to concentrate for 2.5-3 hours.

Within each section, there are natural breaks where you should reset your train of thought and remember your fundamentals (reading for structure, pre-phrasing, pushing rules together for games, whatever). For example, during LR I usually am trying to get through the first 10 questions in 10 minutes. That is a natural break. Any time you get through two pages in LR/Games/RC, that is a natural break (in LR you can take a moment to bubble in your answers you are sure about, in RC/Games you are onto a totally new thing).

Also, make sure you warm up adequately (not too much or you will fatigue before the test is over). Once you get in a flow state it is much easier to move through the sections.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Follow up... Don't study while stressed, and don't be results oriented. Try to have fun. If you become engaged in a section and are having fun you are probably in the zone. When you read something and 2 sentences in you are trying to figure out how you will survive the rest of the passage, you need to take a second and try to be more engaged.

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    If I get distracted I try to just take a few breaths and close my eyes to re focus. Literally EVERY time I have ever taken a PT, I have had a song stuck in my head. Every time. Not even the same song either. It's the worst but also kind of funny

Same, it's terrible. Now I don't listen to any music the day of a PT - I drive to the library in silence lol

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think I’m going to have to start doing that. Does it help?

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

@MissChanandler I think it makes a huge difference. It seems to help me maintain a "zen/calm" state so I start the test off with a clear mind.