Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Figuring out when game pieces are allowed to show up twice in the same group or not.

edited November 2018 in Logic Games 1025 karma

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-77-section-3-game-4/

In this game, I struggled so hard during time because I didn't know if the volunteers could show up twice in one group. For instance, on my timed go, one of my boards had H(S/T), N (L), H(T/S) in group Z.

My question is where was the rule stated that they can't show up twice in a single group? I never assume this is the case unless told otherwise. So maybe I am missing something?

In blind review, I just went with the assumption that they could not stack and it was incredibly easy. I don't ever want to run into this problem again in the future. Any thoughts?

EDIT: The only line I can see here where that might explain it is with the statement, "each committee will have three volunteers assigned to it."

But wouldn't 3 Haddad's mean there are 3 volunteers. Maybe I am taking too much of a "game piece" approach. Where in my mind they are saying three game pieces are being assigned to each.

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

You're right about the three volunteers. If you did H, H, and J that would only be two volunteers.

• edited November 2018 1025 karma

@MissChanandler This helps. I just typed out something but I ended up answering my own question.

My further question is when to regard pieces as individuals or as a game piece? For instance, in my view at least, the word "volunteer" is just a name for the game pieces. This is something similar to calling the game pieces "cars" or "shows." In other words, three game pieces will be in each group. Each H, H, H is a game piece and they are also each a volunteer. Again, if it said three "shows" must be in X, to me this doesn't exclude the possibility that a single show can't occupy all of them. But this is clearly the wrong way to do the game the way it was written. So volunteer must be alluding to individuals, who are distinct. Thus, three individuals must be in three different spaces.

Knowing now that is it the precisely this wording where my hazy understanding of this distinction lies, what word(s) implies that of these three, they are each a slot for a different individual as opposed to a game piece? I'm lost at this distinction.

Thanks!