Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law Day..

AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
in Off-topic 2689 karma

Okay. So... A college towards the top of my target list emailed me with notice of their Law Day (an open-house event, not an Admitted Students thing). I didn't have any plans to go to it, but we all suddenly and miraculously had it clear on our schedules, including crash space with a friend after the long drive. So I'm going. And it's this Friday. And now I'm kinda panicking, because I'm not really sure what to expect.
Can anyone who has gone to one share their stories? I believe there will be a mock class, but so far, I haven't received any kind of itinerary, information, etc. I'm going to do some business casual wear (nice jeans, top, light weight jacket). There should be a bit of walking involved.
What would you suggest I bring with me? I figure something to write with and take notes down. But beyond that? Things not to bring? (Parents won't be an issue, nor will my kiddo. I read over that thread already. :lol:)

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited November 2018 4850 karma

I've been to two open house type events this year.

• Dress - Business casual to both. Matched the majority of other applicants, although I saw the full spectrum from suits to shorts/jeans.

• Scheduling - The first open house was meet and greet, class sit-in, student led tour, and 30 minute 1-on-1 with an admissions counselor. The second was 2 one hour break-out sessions with 3 options per hour (I chose public interest and criminal law) followed by group lunch and then student-led tour.

• I always bring a small note book and pencil to take notes.

I think these things are really good to get a feel for the school. For me, I was impressed with both the professors and admissions people I interacted with. Mixed results for the students (good impression at the first event, bad at the second). Other applicants at each event were a typical mixed bag.

FWIW, lots of parents and partners at these events. Partners / spouses seem to be useful, but I get a negative impression from many of the parents who tend to be there as they seem a bit over the top / helicopter (I say this as a parent of 4).

Bottom line, I think these events are good to go to if you can because you can get a feel for the school and most importantly, the student body.