Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you y'all visually represent exceptions to condition statements in our "lawgic" language?

A will go to B except when C happens.

Maybe it can be done conditionally, I'm not sure. I've been thinking about writing C as a sufficient (either positive or negated), but I realized that except is saying something totally different then our typical conditional "lawgic." Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's saying that when it's satisfied, the rule is irrelevant and when it's negated, nothing happens----the rule still stands while also not triggering anything. This is polar opposite of the way our conditionals are understood. So I was thinking it ought be represented in a special way.

J.Y. used the diagram method, but it doesn't really sit well with my style of understanding. I was wondering what others do.

Thanks!

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

A happens except when B occurs

/A -> B

• AngusMcGillisAngusMcGillis Member
    403 karma

I personally use /C -> (A->B)

I can't remember which quesiton it is, but JY uses a circle method which I transcribed here

• edited November 2018 1025 karma

That makes sense for A and B. How would you write it with the example I gave at the top of the post?

• edited November 2018 1025 karma

@AngusMcGillis I think I am on that question! PT81 S3 19. Seeing that your description matched mine helps. I might have found a way to use DeMorgan's law to represent it but I'm still working on that. Although I can just put aside learning preference and run with this idea. Thanks!!

• edited April 2019 1025 karma

Stumbling across this post 5 months later, I realized I now have a solid grasp on how except/unless statements work and I can answer my own question :D

To the unsure me of the past, except/unless logical indicators basically work like normal conditionals but they just add in one tiny world to the condition.

A ---> B except C means that A will always imply B, but there is one instance where this is not true. In the instance where A happens and B does not (A and /B) then C will happen. It's that simple.

DeMorgan's law is a proof:
    A ---> B, expect when C
    not (A ---> B ) ---> C
    A and /B ---> C

• Michael.CincoMichael.Cinco Member Sage
    2116 karma

I try to think of it as A AND NOT C --> B

Exceptions make more sense to me from that perspective because you take into account the exception and the sufficient condition to trigger the necessary. In order to trigger the neccessary with the sufficient condition you need the exception not to be valid. Which is what A and Not C show.

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

@TheDeterminedC I ran into this problem on a PT a week or so ago, so I'm glad I found this post. I generally just treat "except" as "unless" or in other words "if not". "If A then B, except when C" So that becomes "If not C, then the combined necessary condition (A --> B)" Is that a reasonable approximation? or am I doing it wrong?

• 1025 karma

@jmarmaduke96, it sounds like a great way of viewing this problem and it's quite similar to @"Michael.Cinco's way of thinking as well. Just make sure that you know when we don't have C, that doesn't necessarily imply A.