Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To postpone or not to postpone

OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
in General 2531 karma

Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing well :)

Burnout hit me pretty hard after the September test and I haven't studied more than 20 hours total in the last 2 months. I am scheduled for this weekend's administration but I don't feel strong. My PT average is one point above my target score but I haven't taken a PT under timed conditions since before the September test. My performance in September was -6 my PT average and I honestly felt better going into that administration that I do about this one.

My gut is telling me to give up on this cycle and prepare to retake in June but probability seems to favor taking in November since my PT average is above my goal score and taking now could theoretically push up my law school start date by an entire year. Obviously it's a gamble and unlikely that I hit my PT average on test day given the 2.5 month break from prep, but the upsides are pretty solid. That being said, I realize that life goes on and that I probably won't be any more or less happy taking a year off as I am a k-jd student and only 22 years old.

Try to put yourself in my position as I am still on the fence about taking the test this weekend and there is a lot of exterior pressure to start law school ASAP that I feel might be clouding my better judgement here.

Take this weekend?
  1. When to take?17 votes
    1. Take this weekend after 2 months break
      58.82%
    2. Take in June, delay a cycle
      41.18%

Comments

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

Hey there! Have you considered taking it in January instead?

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Since you are testing above your goal score, I'd take it and see. The worst thing that can happen is that you are not happy with the outcome and you delay a cycle. The best thing that can happen is that you hit your goal and hit submit on your apps.

Good luck!

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited November 2018 2531 karma

@Kermit750 said:
    Hey there! Have you considered taking it in January instead?

After November, it's better to postpone a cycle, as late applicants in the cycle generally have 30-40% lower chances of admission than they would have in September. Also scholarships are often given on a rolling basis so it's likely that you could miss out on those by applying late.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

"haven't taken a PT under timed conditions since before the September test."
    Take a timed PT and then make a decision.