Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting now, are all PTs relevant?

louis2014louis2014 Alum Member
edited December 2014 in General 190 karma
Hello,

I will start studying for June's test. Following the starter schedule, it says that I do full tests at the end of my prep i.e. last some weeks. My question, how relevant are the older tests? let's say 19's or early 2000's? When it says to practise a section, which year am I to choose and which ones do I leave for the full exam? I assume that the sections I chose for training shouldn't be part of the full exam.

Good luck to all Saturday's writers.

Comments

• alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    812 karma
    All tests are extremely relevant. The newest tests from about mid 50s onward are the most extremely relevant. The worst thing you can do when you start your initial prepping is to burn through fresh PTs before you have the fundamentals down. My recommendation to you would be to use PTs prior to PT 30 for practice as you hone your fundamental skills. And then later on transition to more recent tests for full length PT practice under strict timing conditions.
  • Sully8725Sully8725 Alum Member
    edited December 2014 146 karma
    Answers are definitely going to vary...
    I think all tests are relevant... some are just "more relevant".
    I personally started with the oldest I had access to (PT 36) and worked my way forward. I wanted to ensure I had solidified my basics before "ruining" newer test(as @alexroark5 mentioned). I think it is best to leave the newer tests for closer to when your write. I feel the overall test hasn't changed but specific nuances have, ex: comparative reading passages in newer tests, necessity of reading both speakers in LR stimulus (in newer tests), more intricate grammar in newer tests and possibly a shift in games from "easier" to "medium-medium/hard."
    This is just my opinion, but if you intend to get the most out of prep testing don't just generate semi random 3 digits numbers (as in, don't just write a test to see what you score) write the tests with a focus on timing and elements you don't know, then blind review like it is your job, create a concrete foundation and then move to the next test.
    Good luck!
    -G
  • louis2014louis2014 Alum Member
    190 karma
    Thank you very much :) ruining the new tests was my fear, but it is clear now. I will practise on the older ones (<30) then leave the new ones to the last couple of months as recommended in the starter schedule. I will start with June 2007 as a diagnostic then move from there.