Help - new to BR and 7sage!

Folso102Folso102 Yearly Member
edited November 2018 in March 2019 LSAT 61 karma

Hello 7sage!

I am new to the blind review process and a little bit confused about writing out explanations. Does anyone have any drafts of what they wrote for one of their PT's specifically for LR sections that was helpful to them?

Additionally, I am trying to break the 160 mark by March or June depending. My past PT's have been somewhat inconsistent. 149 diagnostic, 152, 153, 157, 150... I took a few weeks off after the 150 because I felt discouraged, but I'm back now! :)

I took the Kaplan online course and feel like I have an okay grasp on the the core concepts of LR and RC. I've also started the fool proof method for LG and purchased 7Sage LSAT starter course. But I'm wondering, should I go through the 7sage CC meticulously again, or can I just watch videos on concepts I feel weak in and skip around?

Will it give me an edge that Kaplan couldn't? Or should I just head straight into weekly PTs and Blind Review? I can only give about 15 hours/week to studying because of work and school, so I want to be as efficient as possible!

Thank you!

Comments

• turnercmturnercm Alum Member 🍌
    edited November 2018 770 karma

For explanations, I tried to start by just answering the questions. Sometimes I couldn't quite explain my reasoning, which pointed back to either being rushed under timed conditions or not actually knowing what the question was asking.

Basic Example:
    A) Correct
    B) Circled this answer because it was my best guess and the wording is similar to the stimulus, but it doesn't actually affect the conclusion
    C) This information is irrelevant
    D) This weakens the argument
    E) This explains a flaw in the argument but doesn't match what the stimulus is asking

As for the CC, I did self-study with the Powerscore Bibles my first time and I really wish I had started with 7sage. J.Y. does an excellent job of laying out the concepts of logic before doing a deeper dive into tackling the questions. I honestly would pause on PT-ing or at least keep it to once a week just to get a feel for the basics and see if any of them make things click better than before.

I also suggest this because Blind Reviewing started off taking forever. I should have started with sections and then worked up to full exams. But it takes less time the more often you do it! Give the first few lessons a run-through and then assess. If it feels redundant then feel free to skip ahead

• Victor WuVictor Wu Alum Member
    edited November 2018 661 karma

I haven't done the Kaplan course before, but I haven't heard many good things about that course. I would highly recommend going through the 7Sage course.

The idea behind BRing is to fully flesh out everything. An example could be:
    The stimulus follows the standard "some people say..." formula. The conclusion is X. The premise is Y.
    A- wrong because "all" is too extreme
    B-irrelevant
    C-irrelevant
    D- Correct b/c X
    E- strengthens

Analysis: I got it incorrect during my real take cause X.

The above was completely made up. But, the basic idea is to:
    1. get in the minds of the test writers to understand what they are doing
    2. understand why you made the mistake you did/spent longer than you should have.