Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got a 168, wanna try one more time. Should I?

prernafaithprernafaith Free Trial Member

Hey Guys,
So this is my first time posting here but I often read the discussions and think that they are really helpful. I am hoping for some advice with my current dilemma.
So I have given the LSAT 3 times already, and always with score increases. My latest score was a 168, which was great, but it's just that I have been consistently scoring in the 171's for months now on practice exams. I messed up the logic games section really bad in the actual test even though I usually get a perfect score in that section on preptests.
But if I register to give the January test it will be my fourth attempt, and am wondering if this is one time too many? I have to apply this cycle, so another concern is not having the score (even if there's an increase) in time for admissions. And finally I feel like I have run out of recent preptests to practice on if I do decide to give it another shot.
I really feel like I can still improve, and more than anything, I believe I want to figure out the challenge of the LSAT to grow as a person.
What do you all recommend?

Comments

• jkjohnson1991jkjohnson1991 Alum Member
    766 karma

If you truly feel that you can improve on the Jan. test then I say go for it. Even an improvement from a 168 to a 170 is worth it. You can still apply in January, go for it!

• PeaceofmindPeaceofmind Alum Member
    446 karma

Experts from PowerScore said for this cycle, January is not too late. So go for your heart!

• jasminesadejasminesade Alum Member
    edited December 2018 249 karma

I don't think 4 times is too many and I think you should practice more logic games. Go over the exam and see where you went wrong and what you can learn from it. Drill logic games and also see if there are any specific question types on LR or RC that you can improve on. I don't think it'll hurt to re-take it again in January, but also you need to be ready that it might be the case that your score goes down a point or two on test day... but your score can also just as likely go up a bit. As you said, you usually get a perfect score on LG but if you didn't do as well on the recent test, then focus on where you went wrong and learn from that. I wish you the best of luck in whatever decision you make and congratulate you on your 168! That is an amazing accomplishment.

• prernafaithprernafaith Free Trial Member
    59 karma

Thank you all of you for the advice, it really helped me make a decision!

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

A 168 now is almost as good as a 170 in February. I'd send out apps to schools where you have a good chance of getting in with a 168 now and take in February again for the schools that you need to have a 170+ for. Do not delay your apps except for schools that will reject you outright with a 168 (T6). For all other schools send the apps out ASAP!

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

also, the challenge of the LSAT is for the individual to decide. If you think that getting 3 more points on this test is worth the time that it will take, then there's nothing that should stop you from doing that. Just be aware of why you're doing it. I tend not to think that an arbitrarily higher score on a test is worth all that much unless you are going to do something in that score. If you are applying to schools with 75ths all below 168, then pushing to a 171 probably won't help you much. If you are retaking because you want to push a scholarship at a school where a 168 is around median or you are looking to have a better chance at the T6 then it's totally worth it!

• prernafaithprernafaith Free Trial Member
    edited December 2018 59 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme Thank you so much for your detailed answer. I had a follow up question. I understand how submitting right now for universities with rolling admissions would be beneficial, but is it the same for universities with non-rolling admissions and deadlines around February/March? I am sorry if it is something very obvious that I am unaware of!