Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decision Help! JD or JD/MBA?

Going175Going175 Alum Member

Hi guys,

I really need you guys' input on what I should do with my application. Here's the background:

I've had a background in business, and have 6 years of work experience. I've initially thought about going into Bschool. But last year, after some serious consideration, I decided that business law is what I'm really interested. And decided that I was going to take the LSAT and apply this year, to law school alone. I was confident that I'd be able to get into the 170s, and did PT really well in my last few tests. But life slapped me in the face and I got a 166. I had a meltdown because it was 8 points below my average PTs. I know it's not a bad number, but I REALLY want to get into Northwestern.

Numbers about me:
GMAT: 750
LSAT:166
GPA: 3.6 ikr =(

So, should I a) bet my luck and use 166 to apply to Northwestern law alone? or b) reapply to their JD/MBA program through Kellogg?

I did apply last year to the JD/MBA program but I didn't have a LSAT score. And I was waitlisted. I just really want to get into the school this year. I could retake the LSAT and apply again next year, but the thought of waiting another year really scares me.

Northwestern
  1. JD or JD/MBA for Northwestern14 votes
    1. Bet my luck and hope they'll let a 166 pass
      42.86%
    2. reapply JD/MBA
      57.14%
    3. forget about Northwestern, I'll never get in
        0.00%

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

You're above both 25ths at Northwestern, so it's not like there's zero chance for you to get in with your numbers. If you were waitlisted last year then there must be something they liked about your application, so you LSAT score might be enough to push you through. If you're dead set on Northwestern, I would apply this year, maybe retake the LSAT in January since your PT average was so much higher than your actual test. If you don't get in, apply again next year, or go somewhere else.

• Going175Going175 Alum Member
    edited December 2018 26 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    You're above both 25ths at Northwestern, so it's not like there's zero chance for you to get in with your numbers. If you were waitlisted last year then there must be something they liked about your application, so you LSAT score might be enough to push you through. If you're dead set on Northwestern, I would apply this year, maybe retake the LSAT in January since your PT average was so much higher than your actual test. If you don't get in, apply again next year, or go somewhere else.

Northwestern's JD/MBA program is one application through Kellogg. So I guess my question is, which one would I have the better odds of getting in: apply through Law School doing JD alone? Or apply through Business school through JD/MBA program?

AND thanks for the advice! I really need them now.

• angelamariawilliamsangelamariawilliams Alum Member
    4 karma

ALthough incredibly important - I am sure you are more than a GMAT/LSAT score - particularly with work experience. Bottom line on the real - professional schools are also about proving you have what it takes to be a contributing Alumni to that school...and that you can also attract a network to get you into a career choice to become a contributing Alumni to that school.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I honestly think the odds are probably about the same with either application. You were WL last year with your GMAT and the 166 is not awful but not a strong number for the law school. I think the odds of a WL there are significant as well. If anything, I think you'd probably be better off applying to the dual program... it's just a hunch really, but I have a feeling that law schools are a little more lenient with lower LSAT scores for JD/MBA types. But that said, being WL last year, the LSAT score doesn't do much to punch up your app.

I'd say take your shot and apply JD/MBA, and if you don't get in this year, try for a higher LSAT. And really, there's nothing to be scared of in waiting a year. You have plenty of time.

• edited December 2018 148 karma

are you allowed to apply to both programs -the JD/MBA and the JD program at Northwestern or do they only allow you to apply to one.