Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older, untouched material

juanmapmjuanmapm Alum Member
edited December 2018 in General 379 karma

Hi everyone,

I have a bunch of untouched older material (PT 1-18, 29-35) that I planned to utilize for my January retake. Am I shooting myself in the foot for studying from these older PTs/would I be better off retaking newer PTs?

Would love any advice y'all can provide. Thanks!

jmpm

Comments

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2803 karma

Hey the consensus seems to be that LR and RC have changed slightly to be less cookie cutter and many find it more difficult for this reason. This thread sheds more light on the details of this: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/18546/what-should-i-do-to-minimize-the-struggle-the-newer-material-poses.

At the end of the day an argument is still an argument and the older material requires the exact same understanding of fundamentals. My personal opinion is that the newer LR has a little bit more nuance and trap answer choices while LG and RC are pretty close to the same. I use and get a lot out of older material, however, I would recommend using newer material as much as you can leading up to test day to ensure you are taking as close to the real thing as possible.

• juanmapmjuanmapm Alum Member
    379 karma

thanks for the feedback and discussion link @"Lucas Carter"! i've noticed that nuanced trend myself, but unfortunately i've burnt up everything that is 50+ for my november take (except for a random 8x PT). i'll probably just redo individual sections of LR from newer sections leading up to the test date and carry on from there.

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2803 karma

@juanmapm said:
    thanks for the feedback and discussion link @"Lucas Carter"! i've noticed that nuanced trend myself, but unfortunately i've burnt up everything that is 50+ for my november take (except for a random 8x PT). i'll probably just redo individual sections of LR from newer sections leading up to the test date and carry on from there.

I am in the same boat in terms of using up most of the recent material. I found that using the question bank to filter for 4 and 5 difficulty level questions of PTs from the 80s can help illuminate and get your brain used to picking up on the "nuance" of new PTs. Best of luck with your prep!

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

Personally, both LG and RC from PT 1 to 18 have been tremendously helpful for my prep. I honestly disagree with some folks that RC has changed quite a bit over the years. Rather, RC is THE section that has remained pretty much the same. Also quite a few passages from PT 1 to 10 deal with really dense stuff so they've been great prep materials. On the other hand, I have gained nothing from LR in these PTs. They have rather flushed my confidence down the toilet. LR is VERY different and it stressed me too much so I chose not to redo those LR sections. Something to keep in mind :)