Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Nanny Applying to Law School

Hello!

I graduated in May 2018. I am in a gap year before law school, and I am currently working as a nanny 30 hours a week. This allows me to earn money while applying to school without having a demanding full-time job. I have a strong resume, and I don't want this to take away from my other positions. If I include it, how do you think I should frame it? Any and all advice is appreciated!

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I think you should include it in your work experience. As for the description, you know what you do better than any of the forum users. My only suggestion is to avoid trying to make it sound too fancy.

• LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma

Yes, concur with above. We would need to know more information to help with crafting the right formulation (feel free to PM me if you want my input) but the presentation of work in resumes is all along the same lines.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I would include it so as to avoid a significant "gap" in your resume. You don't want it to seem like you haven't been doing anything since you graduated.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Agree with all of the above. Including it (in practical, not grandiose terms) is better than having a gap on your resume.

FWIW, although I have a 25+ year military career on my resume, I was asked to write an addendum on "what have you been doing since then" because a reader had questions about my life since my 2016 retirement.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

The advice I got from info sessions with some T14 deans was that they actual want to see those kinds of work experience. They said that a lot of applicants leave out their part-time retail experience for fear of including extraneous info on their apps but they said that those jobs are seen in a positive light, especially if you are working to help support family, etc. Include it as you would any other job and list 2-3 bullet points on your duties as well as include your hrs/week.