Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coming Back...

Madssssss L.Madssssss L. Alum Member

Hi all!
I am coming back to the LSAT after having taken it in June 2017 (161, which was going -5 on test day and was quite disappointed).
It's been a lil more than 1.5 years since looking at all of this.. I used a good amount of practice exams when I was studying the last time, but more have come out, so not too worried.
I want to score 165+ in the next go.

Any broad advice for how to get back into the grind?
Specific questions include: a good diagnostic to get back in? (07 version has been done to a pulp for me at this point, so need another for best measurement)

I know the outline of the test/strategies. I also know that straight taking PTs and BRing was crucial for me in brining my average up, but don't want to exhaust that too early. Thinking instead that is better to do in the last month before the exam.

Should I begin with any specific sections? I used to be able to foolproof LG, but haven't looked at them since July 2017. RC was harder for me, and in general my mental clarity bears a lot on how I score.

Other details: in the MENA region for intensive grad school program rn, on a part time study schedule, healthy life habits (exercise, etc.-- trying to have that mental clarity all of the time), 4.0 UGPA.
Dream NYU ED Acceptance.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Michael.CincoMichael.Cinco Member Sage
    2116 karma

I know how it feels to get a 161 when you had your eyes set on 170. The PTs 84 85 and 86 were tough in that respect. Different types of games, tricky LR sections. The good news is they're out in PT form now so you can put them in your arsenal. If you can get prepared for a run on July it's basically a freebie because they're letting us cancel the result after seeing our score.

We have a group chat going on where we share best practices and we will be BR'ing a PT every week starting this saturday. It's a good group, a good way to keep motivated with other sagers who are going through the same trials and tribulations of LSAT prep.

What I would suggest is that you start foolproofing LG's again. And come join us in the groupchat on whatsapp:

https://chat.whatsapp.com/HEr9S37YrIFBZNN6w4pFpZ

• Madssssss L.Madssssss L. Alum Member
    124 karma

Thank you so much for the invitation. I will definitely join the WhatsApp group.
    I also really want to try a go at July's test, but it's not offered in the MENA region so would mean a trip to NYC (cheapest option if I'm returning to the states for it/otherwise I suppose).
    Thanks for the feedback!

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Hi! When I started studying for this test last year, I got the starter pack because I thought I only had like 3 months. It would be best if you can get the ultimate package if possible, I think! I studied for few monthes, but could have done so much better if I was aware of all the different videos and explainations I was missing. I was getting frusterated that I would be scoring so well on 7sage sets and just bombing the real preptests. I realized that I was just getting the "easy-medium" questions and had NO IDEA what I was doing with the tough questions. Thankfully, I got the ultimate package which has all the hard questions, answers, and I just got that confidence that I can actually master this test.

I copied this information on another thread, but thought it might be helpful.

I thought that the LSAT was going to just click and not be that difficult because I started scoring in the 160s range and I was going to be fine in just 3 months of studying. I got a bit overconfident thinking I could easily get into the 170s (haha, clearly I'm still here so that didn't work). Actually don't worry about the time or test dates, and understand the material! Get the main package and just feel confident in it all. This is all the advise I would have given to myself last year when I was in your place and what I am doing right now as well:

This is a hard test. It is going to depend on how you scored on your first diagnostic, how you score after you finish the CC, and then how much more you improve from there. Since you do have some understanding of the concepts, I think it would be even better to just take time to go over it agian. Something else will click that may not have clicked the first time. I would suggest that keep studying for the LR and progress through that. At the same time, you need to do the basic logic lesson and advanced logic lesson. Once you understand the idea of "or" "Not Both" and others...then you can progress to the Logic Games! You need to make sure you go through all those logic games lessons by March. At the same time, keep studying for the LR.

Once you have finished the lessons of the Logic Games, you are going to print off the the logic games bundle which has EVERY game from tests 1-35. Now those games, you want to do atleast 1 game EVERY DAY. Make piles, time yourself, repeat the ones you miss, continue the next day, and don't stop. The piles get bigger, it gets frusterating, keep watching the videos, and you will be fine.

For the logic games, I swear it will just click because they just are repeated over and over. The Logical Reasoning is a bit more challenging for me though. You want to make sure you don't skip through videos because the way JY explains the WRONG answers is so much more helpful than just getting the RIGHT answer right. You want to know why something is wrong, how that wrong answer could have been correct, and how it may be the correct answer in future logical reasoning questions.

Once the LR is done, the logic games are still in process, then just take a breath and take your first Preptest after the course. I know you haven't done the Reading Comp, but honestly just take the test and see how much you improve. This gives you more of a rubric to go off from because you learn what areas you're still weak in. This time you DRILL those areas, such as flaw quesitons or strengthen questions. You will get better slowly. Don't forget to BR all of these.

Now as you're studying, drilling, doing logic games, then start the RC and just try to see how JY does it. Look at different strategies and implement those. Depending on that, you want to take the test! I went from a 144 (i think? maybe 143? idk) to a 162-165 in about 3.5 months. I am still studying and trying to take my time with the course, and am hoping to get a 170 by July. I definetly think you can get into the 160s, but it's going to be ridiculous amount of work! It will all be worth it though!

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@Princess said:

Oh wow, that's an interesting perspective. I had no idea what the starter package was like. Wish you the best of luck!
    I also highly recommend the ultimate package. I also believe that anyone consistently practicing in the mid 160's (meaning your core competence is relatively high) can benefit enormously by focusing on timing drills, and building up a repertoire of archetypes and you can use to break down any LR question.