Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full Tuition at DU and waitlisted at UW

Hello!

I'm in a bit of a pickle. Here are the facts:
I moved from CO to WA to attend University of Washington (1st choice, the reason why we moved) or Seattle University (back up, try to transfer to UW after 1st year)
I received full tuition at Denver University!!
I have half of tuition paid for at Seattle University.
I planned to use DU to wager scholarship funds at Seattle University but I doubt they'll match full tuition.
My boyfriend and I have been dating for 6 years and made the move to WA together

Full Tuition or Top 30 Law School
  1. What should I do?13 votes
    1. Wager tuition at SU
      15.38%
    2. Follow through with Waitlist at UW
      61.54%
    3. Move back to CO
      23.08%

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I'd retake even if it meant sitting out this cycle.

• saysaymwsaysaymw Alum Member
    edited February 2019 32 karma

I think it depends on what type of law you would like to practice. SU is known for social justice, have a large focus social issues, and immigration. They have a lot of ties to possible law firms or jobs in the area such as ACLU and other organizations. Keep in mind that they are lowly ranked and a lot of graduates struggle with finding a job after graduation. I have a friend who went to SU a 5 years ago when they were ranked about 50, and after one year, the rank was at around 84. They mentioned a lot of classmates transferred after the first year because of the low rank. It's not to say graduates don't get a job at all, it may mean trying a little (or a lot) to get a job. I have another friend who went to school at SU, graduated, and told me a lot of the classmates struggled to find a job, and many of them aren't lawyers.

UW also has great ties to Seattle and if you network and do well in school, you will find a job just fine. They are ranked number 37 or 38 this year, which is not bad at all.10 years ago, they were ranked number 22. Of course there are many factors to take into consideration when a school rank decreases, but they have been steadily increasing their rank each year. I personally know people who have graduated from UW and work at big law firms in the area, litigators, transactional lawyers, and law professors.

Now that you have offers, have you read books that talk about law school and what to expect?

Law School Confidential by Robert Miller is a good book. Hope this helps.