Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Khan Academy vs 7Sage

chbnovemberchbnovember Member
edited March 2019 in General 39 karma

I'm reaching out to you all and hoping I can save anyone from falling into the trap that I fell into: using Khan Academy (because its free) and not reviewing every question that I wasn't 100% certain I knew the answer. The lessons J.Y. talks about in the beginning is correct with NOT falling into the pitfall of taking practice tests just to see your score. He is 100% correct as it happened to me so please learn from my lesson. I started using the Khan academy and I had a very good study schedule and planned everything out. I wrote out a 300 hour schedule from November 1st until January 26th (LSAT test day). I googled how many hours needed and I started with that. I also used the free book that LSAC gives you. A little of my background: I'm 29 years old, BAS in Business Management 3.89 GPA cumulative University of Florida Graduated in December 2018. I have 10 years experience working in Accounting and management etc... And this review/advice is 100% unbiased I'm just trying to help anyone and excited using the 7sage so far (1 week in).

While studying here is what happened to me: I started out with a an LSAT practice test to see where I was at day 1 it was 142. I took off 3 months from work and studied 40 hours a week, and logged exactly 300 hours studying with Khan academy and the LSAC book. My tests progressed a few points here and there after 30 days my score jumped to 148. But it fluctuated back to 142, even 138 on 1 test. I did full length timed prep tests about 15 of them My highest practice score was 148. On the test day January 26th, 2019 everything was great. I felt great mentally and physically, my confidence was hi. The test center was great (U of Arizona Tucson) very organized, 0 interruptions or annoyances. Everything was perfect, I had the timing down and was thinking I'm probably going to hit 155 because of the pressure in testing environments I have a stronger focus then at home, I figured that would increase my efforts and get me a few more answers.

Then...2/15/2019 test scores released my score: 142 (original pre score 142). So thats 300 hours studying only to get the routine down, and used to timing etc... the rigorously 4 hour test day stamina down and I made little to no improvement. My practicing with Khan only made me calm on test day because of the preparation. I made absolutely zero intellectual gain and understanding of anything really.

Solution: Use 7sage, use the blind review method. Its honestly that simple. Here is what happened after 1 week only 30 hours studying with 7sage using J.Y. methods I got through the studying up until the 1st optional LSAT practice test. I took the test this morning and under timed conditions and scored 154, and with the blind review I scored 158. Don't just practice material as I did for 300 hours it gets you nothing. Your just spinning your wheels and not improving, just practicing over and over the same mistakes. You must break down each question with the blind review method please.

Comments

• foreverconfusedforeverconfused Alum Member
    123 karma

Thank you so for your input, 7 sage is a life saver. I went through a similar experience where I was self-studying prepping for the test and didn't see no improvement on my scores and it was not until I learned the Blind Review Method that I realized that I was doing everything wrong.

• Lawster9Lawster9 Alum Member
    393 karma

Thanks for taking the time to post this, as I'm sure there are many people here who can relate. I tried out a bunch of resources before 7sage as well, and made little to no progress. Read books, attended live classes etc.

Your study ethic (40hrs a week) is quite admirable and I'm sure it will take you far now that you are using 7sage. Best of luck, and welcome!

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Wow! Congrats on your new score! 7sage definitely has lots of useful tools and ideas to help. I really liked foolproofing the games because that's where I saw the biggest jump. It still amazes me that people hate games and say that's their weakest area, but I think if they were truly aware of the 7sage methods...they would be so much more confident! I love 7sage and recommend to my friends :smiley:

• chbnovemberchbnovember Member
    39 karma

@Princess said:
    Wow! Congrats on your new score! 7sage definitely has lots of useful tools and ideas to help. I really liked foolproofing the games because that's where I saw the biggest jump. It still amazes me that people hate games and say that's their weakest area, but I think if they were truly aware of the 7sage methods...they would be so much more confident! I love 7sage and recommend to my friends :smiley:

I can't wait to get to the Logic games with J.Y. ! Thanks for the message.

39 karma

@Lawster9 said:
    Thanks for taking the time to post this, as I'm sure there are many people here who can relate. I tried out a bunch of resources before 7sage as well, and made little to no progress. Read books, attended live classes etc.

Your study ethic (40hrs a week) is quite admirable and I'm sure it will take you far now that you are using 7sage. Best of luck, and welcome!

Thanks Lawster9 I really hit it hard! , though I'm embarrassed my score didn't jump up higher. I would like to start an online study group if your interested? Or perhaps coaching? That will be my next step on top of studying the next 3 months.

39 karma

@foreverconfused said:
    Thank you so for your input, 7 sage is a life saver. I went through a similar experience where I was self-studying prepping for the test and didn't see no improvement on my scores and it was not until I learned the Blind Review Method that I realized that I was doing everything wrong.

Foreverconfused, thanks for the reply, glad to see I'm not the only one. Let me know how it turns out ok?