Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My tip for Foolproofing (from an amateur)

Lawster9Lawster9 Alum Member
in Logic Games 393 karma

I'm writing this post in the hope that it will help me remember to follow my own advice, and perhaps help others as well in the process.

Here's my Foolproofing tip (mostly geared at people relatively new to Foolproofing):

1. SLOWER IS FASTER. Since one of the goals of foolproofing a game is solving the game within the target time, it's very tempting to think you need to rush things and that you will solve the game fastest by actively trying to go fast. Surprisingly, I find that when I give myself all the time I need, THAT is when I end up finishing the game within time. It's weird, because after completing the game I actually think that I went overtime, and lo and behold it's my record fastest time.

I think this works for two reasons: 1. A calm mind works WAY better. So even though you may be going slower (less thoughts, not scribbling frantically) you're actually being much more efficient and deliberate. 2. Even if you don't complete the game within the target time this time around, by going slower you are giving yourself a chance to really understand and remember the inferences (it's much easier to remember things you understand, vs. rote memorization) thus giving you the best chance to solve the game quickly on the next go around.

P.S. In addition, I think this principle applies to LSAT studying in general. It's often very tempting to think that we can make ourselves cover more ground, understand things quicker, complete more prep-tests etc., through rushing. Unfortunately, the anxiety that comes with rushing deeply diminishes one's ability to focus and learn efficiently.

In conclusion: Anxiety while studying or around studying is NOT a necessary component for LSAT success, and is possibly a sufficient condition for failure in certain cases.

Comments