Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older LR Questions Worth it? (Examples from PT 28)

BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member

Hi All,

I know this question has been asked numerous times, but with only a bit of time left before the June exam, I wanted to ask a question about the older LR questions with specific examples. I've started using the LR sections in the 20s because they're still relatively fresh (might have seen one or two questions but not all per section), but my scores have been declining and in my BR I get a little frustrated with the questions themselves. While at the end of the day, I accept the answers for what they are, my biggest gripe is that they just feel vague in a manner that doesn't fly in the newer exams? I bring this question up because 1) if the consensus is that these questions are good to practice in the PT stage then I'll keep doing them or 2) if these questions are considered a bit dated, then I'll probably use the rest of my time on solely the newer PTs (60+).

Here are a few examples of what I might mean:

The answer here just felt really poorly written?

I understand that "enjoy" here could be understood as "made happy" but again, still doesn't feel as precise to me.

While it's the best answer given, it just feels weird that you're allowed to assume that working for ten years means you don't have anything left to gain from training. It seems like a fair enough assumption, but one I feel would be punished in the newer exams?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I’d focus 100% on newer material. Ultimately it’s going to be what prepares you best for what you’re going to see come test day. If I could
    go back in time and restart my prep, I would only use PT52 and up for my prep.

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    855 karma

@Alex Thanks for the response! I know you've walked the long journey -- did you feel like there was anything important you learned from the earlier LR questions though? For me most of them are obviously pretty solid, but for the odd ones that I miss I feel like I'm wasting time studying them when they feel kind of different (like the examples above).

And for using only PT 52 and up, any suggestions for how to make the most of the material? I think my biggest concern is just the gap between retaking LR sections and doing a completely fresh one.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I’ve learned a ton from the older tests, but mostly through the CC when I was first starting. They’re actually not THAT different, but I do think the newer tests add a layer of nuance and misdirection that make them more challenging; or, at the very least, take some getting used to. In other words, they’re different enough in my opinion that I would recommend focusing on newer material.

I took 52-61 and did them as timed sections to drill LR. I also think there’s a ton of value in retakes. Although I always found it more useful to re-do entire sections untimed and really work through everything I had a problem with during BR. I found that if I BR’d properly that retaking would usually yield -0s :)

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    470 karma

Focusing on older LG is totally fine, older LR is alright, but I wouldn't spend any time looking at older RC.

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Hey! I have been fool proofing the games from 1-35, but I add to the games folder after I take a PT. I think you could use some of the older exams like from 38-50s as timed LR sections. I try to do that if I am trying to get more confidence in the LR sections. The LR sections can still be helpful and BR-ing effectively will allow you to find your weak areas as well. By using analytics, you can find the weak question types and then drill those as well.