Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

June Taker, Score Plateau

lsat_ndodalsat_ndoda Member
in General 11 karma

Hi, all. Longtime lurker, first-time poster.

I’m sitting for the June test and aiming to score over 170. I have been prepping since the end of January and began doing PT’s just over 3 weeks ago, starting out with 162 and 165 on my first two tests (June 2017 and Dec 2015 respectively). Since then I have jumped all over the place (as low as 157 on Sep 2009 two weeks ago and as high as 166 on June 2012 just two days ago) but am shaking out a 162 average.

The trajectory doesn’t look as I had hoped (especially after pulling a 165 on just my second PT), although I have read progress is often not linear. I have a little tutoring assistance that’s so far focused on shoring up LG (I am missing 9 on average, although the initial average was much higher—I am going through foolproofing now). I am missing 8.5 LR on average and 5 RC on average.
With just over 5 weeks to go, I am becoming a bit worried. I am unsure how much my performance is a matter of focus and recognition being below where I need it or how much is comprehension/ability (not that these are necessarily mutually exclusive). At this stage I think I have probably gotten most of the meat out of the major guides and would potentially be wasting valuable time poring through them for info that may not add anything.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations or suggestions on “quick” strategies for shoring things up? For LR, I keep reading about pre-phrasing but have not tried it intently. With RC (legendary for being almost impossible to improve) I have gotten the basic advice to read paragraphs twice, remember that most answers are not really inferences but are actually in the text, etc. but I think this alone is too basic.

Any suggestions anyone might have would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think I would continue foolproofing and then evaluate again in about three weeks. Are you set on taking the June test because you really want a paper test? It's not impossible for you to get a 170 from where you are right now but I do think it's really unlikely. You could get lucky and have a good day and get a test that plays to your strengths, or you could just have an average day and score in the mid 160s. A score of 170+ really requires thorough understanding- and your 157 a couple weeks ago suggests that while you definitely have the potential to get a great score, it might take a lot more practice for consistency and real understanding.

You mention that you've jumped all over the place- how many tests have you taken in the last three weeks? You really shouldn't be taking more than about one a week right after the CC. You need time to dissect each PT and learn from what they reveal about your weaknesses.

• lsat_ndodalsat_ndoda Member
    edited April 2019 11 karma

Thanks for the reply, your suggestion is sound. The 157 was an unpleasant surprise, but is a score nonetheless. I have been doing 2 to 3 tests a week. I have been told that if nothing else I need to be doing PT's to get accustomed to the rigors of a full-length administration. I do realize taking PT's to improve your score is a lot like checking your blood pressure to treat hypertension, but having come to the point where I feel the returns from the guides have already diminished substantially I am unsure of what else to do (that and drilling individual sections, of course). The tutor has helped with some unique LG strategies and we will be going over RC and LR soon, but regardless I am vigilantly seeking well-informed suggestions wherever I can. Also, I have not done the CC.

I signed up for June partly because I wanted the last paper administration but also because I've been putting off the LSAT for awhile and finally decided to buckle down and do it. That it's the last paper administration is almost an arbitrary mechanism.