Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timed or untimed?

alumivacuialumivacui Alum Member

In one of the CC lessons an individual by the username "CharlesOak" asks a very interesting question regarding the BR method that sadly did not garner a reply. So, here's to hoping that it will be seen and answered here !

"For the Diagnostic test should we complete it by section doing BR or should we take the full test first and then do our review? I assume we should take it by section with timed conditions and BR, instead of actually doing the whole thing in one sitting and later on reviewing. I just wanted to confirm."

Basically, when working on LR,or other specific sections, do we take timed sections individual from the other sections, or, do we take the entirety of the test every single time.

Currently just starting my studying and am initially going to tackle my studying systematically---learning the foundational principle(s) for each individual section before taking them along side each-other. I'm not completely sure if this is the correct way about going about it, but it is my study style! That being said, I'm all ears (I guess eyes) and more than willing to listen (err, i guess see) any recommendations or tips for studying :)

P.s. I realise there are several similar posts, but, none that quite ask what I am asking. In essence, just to beat the metaphorical dead horse here, I want to attack particular parts of the test. Much like a sprinter will work solely on their start--tracking the time it takes them to react etc. to the starting pistol---What I am unsure about is whether the results I develop/times I achieve while doing timed individual sections separate from others will translate when I begin taking the entire test. In theory, I do not see why it wouldn't, but I am no expert.

Studying, timing, individual or collective
  1. Do you take particular timed sections... Only BR, only LG, only RC?5 votes
    1. Yes
        0.00%
    2. No
      40.00%
    3. Sometimes
      60.00%

Comments

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    855 karma

I think in the beginning there is very little value to timed practice because, as you liken it to sprinting (though I'm not a sprinter/know nothing about track), without starting with the right form and baseline strength/knowledge, you're just going to become frustrated by not being able to score where you want under timed conditions. I think during the core curriculum phase timed practice could even be detrimental because you're rushing instead of trying to understand everything. Once you build up a certain baseline of knowledge through the CC, and your BR score is where you want it to be, then the only way to close the gap between your BR and actual scores is to just do timed practice, and even practice under extra limited time.

tl;dr I started with untimed and then now just go between full timed sections and BRing them. Also reviewing questions I got wrong/had trouble with under untimed (but am gauging how fast I can spot what I should be spotting). Also, LG should always be timed!

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

The diagnostic is meant as a baseline. The test should be completed with a proctor app and then reviewed blind before scoring. The review of the very first test is interesting because you will not be as comfortable with the questions as you would presumably be further along in your prep, but if you spend the time and give each question your best shot you can begin to see where there are gaps in your understanding.

During the CC don’t time yourself. Just understand the mechanics of the stimuli and what is required by the different question types.

After that, drill drill drill! I like a stopwatch for LG so you can track how long it takes the first time versus how long is recommended for the game. That way you are actually completing the game. RC should be done untimed until you have done enough sections to be comfortable with the structure of the passages and the types of questions. LR is fine to do untimed, and then you want to start trying to complete 5 questions in 5 minutes, 10 in 10, etc until your pacing is on par with what is required for the real thing.

Once you’re further along, your first attempts should all be timed, whether it is a timed individual section or a full PT, followed by thorough BR.