PT1.S3.Q15 - Computer operating system software

A Girl Knows NothingA Girl Knows Nothing Alum Member
edited May 2019 in Logical Reasoning 68 karma

I am just really confused of why the right answer is B.

My thought process was this:
C: It is advisable for businesses to implement such variations.
Why? because of all the information above. When I read this I thought there was an assumption between all businesses having a standard software. Writing this out, I see why this is wrong, but I also do not see why B would strengthen this.

Answers the way I saw them:
A: This is right. In my head this reinforced the assumption I thought I saw
B: So what? We never mentioned cost
C: Again, money is never mentioned. But also, it was mentioned that they were compatible. So this is pointless
D - This might weaken the argument b/c even if we fix one issue, there is another issue anyway. Also, what are destructive computer programs?
E: So what? These businesses want to do that. Even if they do not, it does not strengthen anything

help

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    edited May 2019 2227 karma

@Jgonzalez
    The hole in the argument I thought of first was why would it be bad to follow this advice? What if it costs a ton of money for a large business to tweak the operating systems of their thousands of computers?

A is wrong because it doesn't distinguish between "computer compatibility" and "identical OS" and the assumption is that if every business has the same OS as us then we really have to make this change or else the virus is going to get everyone! Trap answer choice

B is correct because it says that the alternative to implementing the variations is more costly than just implementing the variations in the case of an attack. It doesn't have to make the argument valid. There are still holes. What if preventing the damage is still really expensive and attacks are rare? Strengthen questions just have to help the argument a little bit.

C is wrong because talks about the cost of maintaining incompatible OS, but the OS are still compatible after the variations. Compatible, not identical.

D is irrelevant. We're talking about one specific measure to combat one specific threat.

E is irrelevant. Some business don't need to share data doesn't affect the argument.

If you read carefully enough to spot the tricky language in A and C, D and E are easily eliminated and B remains.