PT1.S3.Q23 - A medical journal used a questionnaire survey to determine

A Girl Knows NothingA Girl Knows Nothing Alum Member
edited May 2019 in Logical Reasoning 68 karma

So I got this correct, but only on the basis that I knew this was a medium leveled question. I cannot fully eliminate A and need additional help.

When I read this my initial instinct was to say how do we know that 62% is representative. Again, after knowing this was a medium level questioned I felt that A was too easy to fall for and I re-read the stimulus and saw it mentioned that it wanted to increase readership. With that this is what followed:

A - Could not eliminate
B - So what that other journals have done this? We just care about this journal and what they are doing.
C - I choose this because out of the other answers this felt like it mentioned both that representative discrepancy mentioned AND the want for the increased readership. However, I am still not entirely confident in this answer choice
D - So what about the cost?
E - So what?

help

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@Jgonzalez
    Flaw is that the respondents are not necessarily representative of the population as a whole. Also, pay attention to the first sentence, which is part of the question stem via referential phrasing. The goal was to increase the readership. A only states that 90% of the people who already read the magazine responded. Who knows how non-readers would respond. Are the current readers, much less the respondents representative of the potential readership as a whole? No. A is eliminated because it doesn't shore up the flaw in the argument. C does strengthen the argument because it says that the survey results would be pretty much the same across the entire population, which fixes the sampling error.