Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diagramming "or" in chained conditionals

_aisling__aisling_ Alum Member
in General 289 karma

l struggle with conditional phrases that include the word "or" and how to use them in a chain. l remembered learning about "or" in the truth tables and went back there, but is there somewhere else we learned about "or" that was more specific to chaining phrases?

The problem that reminded me today is from PT 36 (fruit stand).

Any thoughts or advice on:

• where to review in the CC?
  • ways to diagram that make sense to you?
  • other problems that include this concept?

Thanks!

Comments

• Mike_RossMike_Ross Alum Member Sage
    3106 karma

Hey!

Are you asking what inferences you can make with OR statements or HOW to diagram or statements?

Or statements are always group 3, pick one and negate sufficient:

A or B must be selected / if B is not selected, A is Selected. They both look like:

/A—>B
    /B—>A

The inferences you can always make is that this is an OR rule, which means that no matter what, one of the. MUST BE in the In group (for in/out games); or both can be in, but both cannot be out l. Why? Because if one of them is out, the other is immediately in.

If you’re asking about conditional chains, this is how you make the connection:

/A—>B—>C—>/D

Which pieces are in an OR rule relationship to each other? Or to put it more like PT LG language: “of the following pairs of fruits, which must include at least one of each?”

A) A,D
    B) B,D
    C) C,D
    D) A,C
    E) A,B

The answer is (D) and (E) because the Or rules can run down the chain. Now, if we were given a condition like A is in, then that part of the chain breaks away but the rest holds

If you’re on PT 36, no worries! There are plenty of in/out games coming your way that you’ll be able to eventually become familiar with. Getting this and the NOT BOTH inference is essential.

Hope this helps!

• _aisling__aisling_ Alum Member
    289 karma

Hm. l don't actually think I'm asking either of those things; the diagramming of the or statement individually is clear to me. My confusion is when you have multiple conditionals, one of which includes "or," how to string them together.

It turns out that JY suggests not to chain them at all, and to count them as a separate rule!

Thanks for your thoughts, though!