Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to go from here

jakejohns777jakejohns777 Member
in General 52 karma

I just took another timed test since going through the fundamentals and got a 147. Although it’s not great, I’ve improved from a 136. Where to go from here? I’ve used 7Sage for the games section. Games and LR were both my weakest sections. I am registered for the July test. I’m looking to score in the high 150’s-low 160’s. I would love a 160. I will also be taking the fall scheduled tests as well. Any tips would be greatly appreciated to reach this goal!

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

You need to make sure if you haven't done the whole core curriculum that you go through that. It sounds from your post like you only used the core curriculum for logic games. Since you've already begun working on games, start foolproofing. Do at least 1 section every day, plus your core curriculum stuff. During the LR question type lessons, do a few of the practice sets and BLIND REVIEW before looking at the explanations. Do this until you feel comfortable with each question type. Don't worry about your PT score, just try to get better at games and understand the questions. The core curriculum is like 200+ hours long and will do the most to help you improve to the 160 area when you are missing the amount of questions you are. Just keep practicing and trying to improve your understanding of the test.

If you've already gone through the whole core curriculum, I would honestly do it again. It's not about watching the videos and suddenly understanding. You have to do the work yourself and learn from your mistakes. Instead of worrying about your PT score, focus on spending 2-3 days blind reviewing the PT so you can gauge your understanding. Don't score the test until you've done your blind review. Your blind review score is your current potential if time wasn't a factor, and you can better figure out your strengths and weaknesses doing that.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Agreed with most of the above. And I’m not totally clear - have you gone through the whole cc or just LG? I highly recommend going through the whole cc in order, top to bottom. There’s so much more to learning this test. The lessons on logic and grammar are absolutely crucial to understanding the LSAT.

I absolutely think you can make it to a 160, but I think your timeline is a little overly optimistic to do that by June. It is going to take a while to get from the 140s to 160 consistently. I think you’ll most likely get into the 150s quickly, but from there up it’s a really slow crawl. As you get better, it gets harder and harder to earn each point. I think you might be able to do it by September, and more realistically November. But yes, you need to work your way through the whole cc, do the practice sets, do thorough BR, watch the explanation videos, and check out the webinars too for study tips.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

@jakejohns777 said:
    I just took another timed test since going through the fundamentals and got a 147. Although it’s not great, I’ve improved from a 136. Where to go from here? I’ve used 7Sage for the games section. Games and LR were both my weakest sections. I am registered for the July test. I’m looking to score in the high 150’s-low 160’s. I would love a 160. I will also be taking the fall scheduled tests as well. Any tips would be greatly appreciated to reach this goal!

From a 136 to a 147. That's amazing. You should be proud and congratulated for this progress. The fact that nobody has said that to you is nonsensical.

• aussie_zacaussie_zac Alum Member
    90 karma

Hey! Great job on the improvement so far! I am also looking for around a 20 point jump and have currently improved 13 points (so we are in a fairly similar place). I pushed my test back to October, it was super annoying as I wanted it over but it was important enough to me that I knew I needed more time.

Something that has been really handy for me is keeping an Excel spreadsheet of which question types I get wrong on each PT. That way I can go back and practice the specific question types I am not doing so well on. I have also been using the questions on Khan Academy. No doubt the instruction on 7sage is considerably better than Khan but having access to free question banks is super helpful.

Also agreed with the above if you haven't done all the CC then start there.

Great job so far though and good luck!! :)