Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Types of Games

PrideViktorious170PrideViktorious170 Alum Member
in Logic Games 22 karma

Hi,

Could someone tell me if 7Sage helps with understanding the types of games you encounter on the LG section? This seem to be one of my main barriers for the LG portion. Any suggestions?

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

The three "main" types of games are: grouping, in-and-out and sequencing. There could be variations on those three types of games: in-and-out with a sequencing element for instance. Those are going to be our three core types of games. Beyond that there are games that appear with less frequency: the "odd" games. These are games that don't have as many historical precursors: previous games that are similar to them ie games where we can build a solid understanding of what to do before we go into them (reoccurring inferences etc.)

A lot of people begin to find success on LG after they have thoroughly reviewed the games contained on Preptests 1-35. Me personally, I knew so little about games that when I first started, I needed to thoroughly review the games from preptests 1-49. I needed that extra set of games to continue reenforcing the concepts before I jumped into timed sections.

Whole books and courses have been written/developed about how to do and review the games. 7Sage's videos are really great.

Best of luck
    David

• PrideViktorious170PrideViktorious170 Alum Member
    edited June 2019 22 karma

Thank you very much! I appreciate these gems. @BinghamtonDave, could you tell me if folks are more successful at scoring high in this session of the LSAT? I’ve heard if you knockout this section, you could do well with scoring in the low to high 160’s.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27859 karma

@PrettyViktorious170

Have you been using Powerscore? Many LSAT prep companies are guilty of over-classification--Powerscore is just the most notorious in my mind--and it really isn't at all necessary to the extent that they go into. I was always more confused by all the classifications than by the games themselves before I started using the 7Sage methodology. You do need to recognize common templates, but the ones that Dave listed are really about as far as you need to go. 7Sage can definitely help you with this and with all the many variations without all the tedious categorizing.

If you want to see for yourself, there are free explanations for every game on youtube, and there is a very long free trial period. So if you sign up and it's not for you, nothing lost.

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

I thoroughly agree with @"Cant Get Right". I started out with the Powerscore LG Bible, I read it cover to cover, and if I'm being optimistic i'll say that my Logic Games ability remained stagnant. I think there was around 8 "types" of games that they discussed in that book. That is overkill. I became almost paralyzed when I would encounter a difficult game because instead of getting right to work on it, I was trying to classify the game based on the Powerscore method so that I knew how to approach it. To answer your question directly, 7sage helps a lot, primarily by breaking down games to make them as simple as possible by pointing out the commonality and repetition. LG was my big breakthrough, I hit a wall and couldn't seem to really get much past a score of 160. However, once I got the games section under control I consistently and comfortably score in the mid-high 160s. I think its definitely the easiest section and the most learnable, it is a good place to get a decent score boost to get your confidence up on the LSAT.