Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To take a break or keep going?

NicolekhNicolekh Alum Member
edited June 2019 in General 335 karma

As of today, I have been studying the LSAT for exactly one year. I graduated university two years ago and spent one of my post grad years abroad, and upon coming home rushed to take the lsat and did very poorly. The lsat for me is really my last hurdle because everything else (GPA, softs) are in place, and I was really hoping to do well to get into my dream school.

However, I find myself extremely exhausted and wondering how long I can keep this up. I have finished my internships and don't work, and study as much as I can because I do want to do well and push myself sometimes to study 8 hours in a day (unhealthy, I know). I score in the 160s and my average is about a 163-165. I have noticed the newer exams are much harder. I don't want to forget all I have learned, but I used to enjoy waking up early to study and now I wake up exhausted and wanting to go back to sleep. I was scheduled for July but decided to postpone because of my mental and physical exhaustion, and the fact that I haven't hit my goal score (the highest I have gotten is a 167, but want to break a 170 and do so consistently before my exam).

I am wondering if people have any advice about what to do. Should I:
A) get a job and just push the lsat to the back-burner & postpone law school for another year, and start studying when I feel ready again and not so tired?
B ) get something part time and continue studying
C) continue as I am doing right now (full time studying) and try for September and send in all my apps

I have always been extremely motivated and a go getter. But something about the lsat is bringing me down. I won't give up, but just feel how I am now isn't conducive to doing well on the exam.

Any advice would be appreciated.<3

Comments

• zacharytsmith26-1zacharytsmith26-1 Alum Member
    849 karma

It wouldn't hurt you to take a week off maybe even two if your goal is to take it in September. It will recharge you, you might even start to miss the LSAT.

• Waffle23Waffle23 Alum Member
    603 karma

I agree. I think you should take a complete break from the lsat for a bit (a couple of days) and come back once your batteries are recharged again. I personally took months off in between two different takes. When I restarted back up, it felt as if I had to start from scratch again and work my skills up. Studying for the lsat is kind of like building muscle. You have to be consistent about it, but it's just as important to incorporate rest days into your schedule to allow that muscle to grow. I would caution against taking too long of a break, since it might set you back a lot more than you'd like. I suggest that you take it and get it out of the way while the material and your skills are still relatively fresh. I'm not sure about your long-term personal goals, but I would go with option B. I think having a part-time job while also studying for the lsat is manageable. Speaking only for myself, I wouldn't be able to just study full time for more than a month, I would probably find myself burning out faster. I would also suggest looking into one-on-one tutoring, they might be able to help you pinpoint specific areas of weakness and help you work to overcome those.
    Best of luck!!

• GuillaumeGuillaume Alum Member
    652 karma

I worked full time while studying for the LSAT so I have never experienced full-time studying for this test, but I don't think I'd be able to do it. I actually made the most gains when I scaled back and just focused on strategy and timing. I think in the last three months before my second test, I only studied an hour each day and about 6 hours total over the weekend. Mind you, my actual score was a point shy of 170 lol.

What are your blind review scores? If they are in the mid 170's, your understanding is probably fine but you just need more practice. Also, what is your score breakdown? I focused on areas I was weaker on during my drills.

In your situation, I would pick option B.