PT63.S3.Q11 - People who browse the web for medical information

raybelle21raybelle21 Alum Member
edited June 2019 in Logical Reasoning 16 karma

Hi- I have been focusing on NA questions, and was looking for quick ways to identify answers. I had some trouble differentiating between (B) and (E). The right answer is B. My question is---- Will the answer in Necessary Assumption Questions follow the format below?

answer---------> conclusion which is equiv. to ~conclusion---------------> ~answer

The question is below. I have diagrammed B and E.

"People who browse the web for medical information Admin edit: Please review our forum rules. Please don't post licensed LSAC materials."
(B)
~Diagnose medical cond. do more harm----------------------------> rely exclusiv. on scientific info
~rely exclusiv. on scientifi info------------------------------------> Diagnose medical cond. do more harm
vs.

(E)
Diagnose medical cond. do more harm----------> rely on quackery
~rely on quackery-----------------------> ~diagnose medical cond. do more harm
Which one of the following is an assumption the argument requires?

Admin edit: Deleted

Admin note: edited title
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-63-section-3-question-11/

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27890 karma

@raybelle21 said:
    My question is---- Will the answer in Necessary Assumption Questions follow the format below?

answer---------> conclusion which is equiv. to ~conclusion---------------> ~answer

This is the correct format for a sufficient assumption, not necessary, but you're kinda on the right track actually. Both necessary and sufficient assumptions are concerned with the answer choices being in conditional relationships with arguments' conclusions. Notice where the answer choice is here though: in the sufficient. For necessary assumption questions, we need the answer as the necessary condition and the conclusion as the sufficient:

conclusion---------> answer which is equiv. to ~answer---------------> ~conclusion

I like to think of these as conditional MBT questions. If the conclusion were valid, then what must be true? So when you work these, start by IDing the conclusion and adopting it as true even though the argument will be invalid. Once you've done that, it is essentially just a MBT question.

• raybelle21raybelle21 Alum Member
    16 karma

Oh I see. Thank you for clarifying. I've started to ID the conclusion more deliberately now and it helps. Thanks and sorry for the late response