Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cardozo PT or FT?!

jbauman1jbauman1 Alum Member
edited June 2015 in General 17 karma
Hello fellow 7sagers,
I have pretty much decided to attend Cardozo Law and really like the idea of doing their Part time program and beginning 1L in May. In my opinion, getting a head start and spreading the first year over 3 semesters is a recipe for success, classes are smaller and taking 10 credits a semester versus 15 leaves more room to focus on each class.
My Mom, however, works for a nationally ranked law firm and has been advised that the big firms do not give as much weight to PT students as they do full time because they know that it might be easier.
I'm conflicted because I took classes in Undergrad all throughout the year in the Winter and Summer (I hate taking time off) and did very well.
What does everyone think? Is it worth risking perhaps a lower GPA just to go Full time when all the May start students will have to go full time anyway beginning in the 2L year?

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I mean if ur mom works for a big law firm and says they look less on PT students... I would go FT, and I believe in general PT is only recommended if you can only do PT
  • EmergingAttorney180EmergingAttorney180 Alum Member
    133 karma
    Hey jbauman1,

In my own, honest, completely unqualified opinion, I don't think the decision to begin law school part-time or full-time will make or break you. That being said, I have to question the possible benefits of going part time when your primary source (your mother) says that it may harm your employment chances. If your goal is to go Big-Law, than my opinion is that you need to be all-in with law school. If you can manage being a part-time law student while still building connections, participating in organizations, and generally putting law school first over other endeavors, than go for it.

The option to go to law school part-time is a great concept and allows many full-time professionals to attend law school when they otherwise could not. But for someone who I'm assuming was accepted into the full-time program at your school, beginning as a part-time law student seems counterintuitive, even if you may see some benefits such as a lighter course load and (possibly) higher GPA. If you really are against having to take time off this summer, maybe use the time to travel, work, or do some cool volunteer work. As I said before, though, I don't think this decision will make or break you, and a motivated enough individual could likely succeed in either program. Good luck!