Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if your LSAT is just slightly below median

Hi All,

If my LSAT is 1-2 points below School X's median but my GPA is above its 75th, and considering my apps are in by December at the latest, would you say I stand a reasonably good chance of getting into the school? I most certainly know having both numbers above median is desirable in this hypothetical situation but I haven't read much about applicants having LSAT scores VERY close to but below median.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Since the median is a true median and not an average, a below median LSAT has the same effect on a school's median no matter how far below it is. So 1-2 points below hurts their median as much as 3-4 points would. Having said that, because your GPA is above the 75th and your LSAT is so close, they would probably be reasonably confident in your academic abilities. I'm assuming that your LSAT is above the 25th, so you wouldn't be a "super" reverse splitter in this case. Ultimately, while it would be better to have a median or higher LSAT, if you don't want to retake then you might as well still shoot your shot!

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    Since the median is a true median and not an average, a below median LSAT has the same effect on a school's median no matter how far below it is. So 1-2 points below hurts their median as much as 3-4 points would. Having said that, because your GPA is above the 75th and your LSAT is so close, they would probably be reasonably confident in your academic abilities. I'm assuming that your LSAT is above the 25th, so you wouldn't be a "super" reverse splitter in this case. Ultimately, while it would be better to have a median or higher LSAT, if you don't want to retake then you might as well still shoot your shot!

Thank you!!! 7sage predictor and LSAC predictor both show that I have a 85-100% chance of getting into this school where my LSAT is 2 points below median. So that's why I wanted to ask :)

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think you definitely have a great chance, try to apply early and definitely write optional essays!

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    I think you definitely have a great chance, try to apply early and definitely write optional essays!

Thank you! Ima continue stealing magazines addressed to you