Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR pacing help

in General 776 karma

Hey everyone,
Just wanted some advice with LR pacing. Currently in a 35 minute time section, I can attempt about 21-23 questions. My score is usually between 14-19 correct, with my BR between 21-25. My goal is I want to be able to get through all the questions (maybe even have some extra time to review questions as I do for LG/RC) and score about 20 correct.
To do so, recently I have been focusing on polishing my ability of reading/breaking down/controlling the stimulus. However, two thinks I do want to improve on but not sure how to do so is:
1) How to skip a question: Do folks have a skipping strategy? Like how did you decide when to skip question? Was it based on the difficulty of stimulus language/you losing focus/etc.? How did you train yourself to implement it?
2) How to not get caught up in an attractive AC: How did you train yourself to evaluate each AC individually regardless of how bad you think the language is? I know there are some terrible looking ACs, but however the LSAT plays to them as the right answer. I just feel many a times a preface an answer choice and go into the question and get caught into it.
Any advice and thoughts would be super appreciated….
Thanks

Comments

• LegallyBrunette21LegallyBrunette21 Yearly Member
    500 karma

I also have the same problem and would love some advice.

• chicago234chicago234 Alum Member
    163 karma

LSAT analytics should help you know what questions are more difficult for you - skip those. Or just skip the ones that are longer like Parallel Flaw. I read the stimulus. If after the first read I didn't understand it well, or if I lost focus, I start over on the stimulus. After reading the stimulus twice and I still don't know what's going on, I flag and move on. For answer choices I I eliminate the choices that are easy to eliminate. If I'm stuck between two answer choices I'll reread each choice. If I still don't know I flag and move on.
    2.) I don't fully understand the question. with regards to "how bad the wording is"- Are you eliminating answer choices bc the wording is confusing? If it's one of the tougher questions I personally wouldn't worry about missing it (easier said than done ik) as long as you don't let it be a time sink. I think JY says that if you're ever stuck between two ACs that's a good hint that it's a tough question, and just to flag it and move on.
    I think it's super important to practice eliminating wrong answer choices. practice explaining why 4 ACs are wrong, in addition to explaining why the one is correct. (under timed PTs I look for the right answer first, but for BR I look to eliminate four wrong choices)

• RosenkranzRosenkranz Alum Member
    105 karma

I have been doing this awhile and feel like your issue is one of the last major issues that I have to conquer. It is very easy for me to get sucked into a question and not move forward.

I have decided to go back to the beginning and practice with old prep tests for the sole purpose of sharpening my LR skipping skills. The new problem sets feature with -3% time and -6% time adjustments might be really great for this. I like what ncarball was saying about reading the stimulus twice and then making a decision. I have just been able to figure things out from problem answers in the past and so am having trouble breaking the habit of staying put and dying on that particular hill; I have to change this.

Looking forward to JY's workshops in Seoul later this month!