Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Statement as LGBTQ- christian schools

ChiChi55ChiChi55 Alum Member

For universities that are christian schools but say that they prefer to have diverse bodies, including those with different sexual orientations and that they don't discriminate on orientation, is it okay to send in a personal statement that talks about your experience as part of the LGBTQ community? Or is this something you should error on the side of caution with and create a new personal statement just for those schools?

Comments

• _aisling__aisling_ Alum Member
    289 karma

My feeling is (disclaimer - as a cisgender, straight woman) if the personal statement you feel called to write is about being a member of the LGBTQ community, then if a school is going to judge that, perhaps you won't feel completely healthy as part of that school community for three years. Go to a school that is going to appreciate what you bring to the table, and whose community will embrace you and value you.

Could you connect with alumni who identify as part of the LGBTQ community to get a feel for their experiences at those schools?

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

@aisling has a lot of good suggestions. I am also a member of the LGBTQ community, and I have been reaching out to various schools' OutLaw groups to get a feel for students' perspectives on diversity and general experience at their schools. So far, every person I've emailed has emailed me back within a day or two and is more than happy to talk.

I am not particularly religious, but I went to a Methodist "affiliated" school. I never experienced poor treatment there from anyone for not being straight. My understanding is that most christian schools are very open and accepting. Now, if we're talking about say Liberty, that might be a different story as far as how they would view your statement. But like the above commenter said, would you really want to go to a school like that?