Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character and Fitness Question

Hello!

During my freshman year I received a noise complaint. I was written up and received a formal warning that exists on my academic record.

Of course, for schools with C + F questions that specifically ask if you have received any warnings from a college, I plan to disclose this and submit an addendum. My plan was to just err on the side of disclosure and do the same for all schools, but I am wondering what others think.

A number of schools ask specifically "“Have you ever been subject to any disciplinary action" but do not mention warnings explicitly. Because this exists on my academic record, I was going to answer "yes" in these scenarios too, just to be safe, though I am not sure warnings are considered being subject to disciplinary action and if doing so would be unnecessary.

Would love to hear the thoughts of others.

Thanks!

Comments

• BigshootsBigshoots Alum Member
    84 karma

Honestly unless an attorney who specializes in C+F issues is redoing the LSAT, I wouldn't let any advice on here dissuade you from including it. Especially considering the least charitable interpretation possible is that you weren't a polite neighbor, and a far more reasonable one is probably that you might not have realized how much sound would travel in the dorm.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Different school applications will word their C&F questions differently so you should first follow their directions. Beyond that, please know that a noise violation will not likely keep you from being admitted to law school. However, if it is anywhere in your record and you DO NOT mention it in your application, it could become an issue later. When in doubt, complete transparency is the best choice. Good luck!

• ALAMAROBALAMAROB Alum Member
    71 karma

@selene.steelman thank you! 

I just spoke with my undergraduate institution who let me know that in addition to the noise complaint, the warning was also the result of another violation for possession/consumption of alcohol under 21, as there was alcohol present in the room where the noise complaint was called. 

However, the school also told me that warnings are expunged from conduct records, and that as a result these violations do not appear on my record like I thought, and if asked the school would indicate nothing exists on my conduct record as this incident has since been deleted. 

Apart from schools that specifically ask for expunged warnings, is it best to err on the side of disclosure for incidents that do not exist on record too?

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Always err on the side of truthfulness. A dumb mistake like that is easily over looked. Just be straight forward and explain what happened. Don't make excuses, just say what happened and that you learned not to do it again and it was later expunged. No big whoop. A mistake partying in the dorms as a kid isn't likely to be held against you.