Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Columbia just changed its application. Help!

Sometime in the past couple days Columbia decided that if you graduated less than two years ago, you are required to submit two academic letters of recommendation. I graduated in 2018.

Unfortunately, I took a break from school for five years and when I returned as a part time student I took one professor several times for my major and then I took a handful of other professors just once. None of them would have much to say about me assuming they remember me at all, nor would the ones I took in 2009-2012 at this point. Getting another academic LOR is just not an option for me. Do I give up on Columbia or stubbornly submit anyway?

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Call them and explain why you will only have one academic reference who can speak on your behalf in a meaningful way. Ask if it is okay to submit your 1 academic LoR along with a work LoR.

• emily1124emily1124 Free Trial Member
    13 karma

I visited Columbia this past week and another prospective student asked a similar question. The admissions rep said then that at least one academic letter was needed and two would be preferred but a professional LoR from those out of school for a bit was acceptable. He stressed to have LoR from people who know you well and can speak to your qualifications, so I think you should submit!