Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I withdraw from the November LSAT?

itsemmarobynitsemmarobyn Member
in General 272 karma

With the exception of my first, my PTs have been staggeringly low (150s) though my blind review hits the high 160s (one 170). My most inconsistent section is LG (I can be -2/3 or -10/11) and though I've tried foolproofing, I'm still not seeing much improvement. My LR is also somewhat crap, as I can score anywhere from -4 to -8/9. I'm beyond frustrated and crestfallen-- I'm putting in the work (I've been studying nearly full time since June) and am not anywhere near where I want to be.

Here's the problem: taking the January test would significantly reduce my chances of getting accepted this cycle because of the delayed review of my application. And yes, I'd lose $200 which sucks but that's the least of my problems.

Any advice you have here would be hugely helpful.

Comments

• simplayyysimplayyy Alum Member
    59 karma

Take it and apply. If you’re not happy with the admission results, you can apply next cycle :)

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    938 karma

I'm leaning towards delaying. I'd like to be at a 165 but I'm barely scraping 160, which means if I took the text next week I could get a 160, but I also could have a bad test and be in the 150's. For me, a late 160-165, is better than an on time 155. Especially if you're gonna retake anyway.

Consider postponing and dont feel bad about it. $200 is a lot, but the extra points you could receive because you're better prepared could get you scholarship that would pay you back 10 times over.

• UGWestItUGWestIt Member
    edited November 2019 4 karma

I'm in the same boat. This November would be my second try and I'm definitely thinking I'll have to take the test once again in January. I took the September test and got a 159. I'm aiming for a top 50 school, though it would be a dream to go to a top 14. I'd really like to raise my score 5-6 points (if not more?), but I'm pretty certain I can't get my score up high enough to hit my goal this month. I've been trying to do research on whether it'll hurt me to sit for the November test but I keep seeing conflicting advice...even above. Lsatgodjk, why not submit two scores, one possibly on the lower side, and use the test you're registered for as practice? I keep seeing assertions around the web that the highest score is the only one that matters.

• mlhinklemlhinkle Member
    292 karma

Im in the same boat very conflicted. I wanted to use for practice but.. I also dont want to STB and have a sub par score on my record when Im not fully ready.

• gof3____gof3____ Alum Member
    6 karma

@itsemmarobyn I would take the Nov test and sign up for the Jan test. If you like the Nov score, cancel the Jan test. If not, take the test in Jan and then apply - if you don't like the results, apply again next cycle. From what I have heard (correct me if someone disagrees) a higher LSAT score is more powerful than an early application. And lots of opinions that schools only care about highest score (incentive for them to report high scores).

@mlhinkle I took my first test totally not ready but did it for the "experience"...I regret it. I would say don't take it for real unless you feel 100% ready.

• get that 173get that 173 Alum Member
    122 karma

There's still about a week to go for the November test, personally I would recommend you take the Nov test. Maybe try one PT a day or every other day to see if you can improve?

• itsemmarobynitsemmarobyn Member
    272 karma

@mlhinkle yes, same! It's such a hard decision to make.

@UGWestIt I heard the September LSAT was killer on the games, I'm sure you're not the only one who has to retake. I've also heard conflicting advice-- it's so hard to know what the right choice is.

@gof3____ that's really good advice. I registered for January and will do everything I can to work on weak spots this week, but if I have to retake it's not the end of the world

@"get that 173" I definitely want to do at least one more PT this week, but I know my weakest section is the games. I thought I'd try and tackle the hardest ones this week and see if that improves my confidence.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

I just made the decision to delay and take the exam in January. This was a very difficult decision for me because I am not getting any younger and took my first official LSAT last November. Needless to say I wasn’t ready for an experimental section for my first section and literally had a panic attack.
    If you are scoring into the 150’s now you could easily end up in the 140’s on test day. I don’t know what school your wanting to go to but getting a score in the 140’s to low 150’s just doesn’t put you in a a position to get into many places but just as importantly scholarship money. You would much rather try in January and get a better score.