Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice needed — to cancel (unique situation)?

Lolo1996Lolo1996 Member
in General 498 karma

Hey everyone,

I am really looking to you for advice.

Here is my situation:

I wrote in October, but there was a problem at my test centre, and I did not receive accommodations for my first section (I have an actual learning disability), and I was informed of this MID section 1, so I rushed through the last 10Qs in that section and feel like i ruined my score. I did not receive my score yet (I have the option to cancel, until December). I felt horrible after the exam. I know the first section for LR went badly, but I felt like the others were OK (I received accommodations after the first section). In October, my score was constant ~158, but the week before the exam it was 158-157-158-156-155-154-152-151 (no lie — i stopped at that point), mostly careless errors at that point from not reading properly, but I was hyper-alert during the exam. I tried to fix that for the exam. The only thing stopping me from cancelling is that the exam was “harder” than anticipated (at east according to my friends) and for some reason, whenever things are hard they work out for me.

I wrote again in November, and, surprise, i feel like garbage. I flagged like 20 questions. I found I got time-sucked on a couple of Qs. I was scoring more consistently the month of November, between 158-162 (my BR between 165-173). I felt pretty good about the games. I was eh about the LR, but the more I “read” and “think” about the “real LR” the worse I feel. On each practice PT I flag the same amount of questions.

My dilemma is that I do not know if I should cancel my October score, and take the free retake in January. Normally I would leave it, but the university I am aiming for averages scores. I have been studying since the end of may. And, in all honesty, I am EXHAUSTED and mentally drained and really do not want to write in January. I feel brain dead, and I’ve been having nightmares from this stupid exam.

I really do not want to drag this exam out. I am also going back to work full-time in January and I am likely going to have a hard time studying and working at the same time (and taking ‘time off’ is not an option since I have 0 financial support at home, besides free rent which will be gone if I do not go back to work).

I wanted advice because I do not really trust myself to make the right decisions at this point, since my confidence has dropped from 0 to -10, but I also really need to hit 160. I feel like a slave.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? I would love to hear any advice you have to offer (for real — its been incredibly helpful thus far) and greatly appreciate the time you’ve taken to read this :)

Comments

• SparkerParkSparkerPark Alum Member
    41 karma

Honestly, life's too short for this. I'd take the score and see what happens next (you've worked hard for it). Maybe it's good or maybe it's not: the truth is you have no way to know. That's how I'd roll, but maybe that's not how you'd prefer to roll.

Roll how you need to roll.

• The only reasons in my humble opinion to cancel are if person was feeling ill or they went into labor during the test before the due date of the baby. Simply put, a score be cause you are not feeling confident or feel the score may not be good enough to the dream school is not the right reason to cancel. What you lose is the ability on finding those weak points that live exam can give you. Also, you rob an opportunity to learn what mistakes are made by canceling on a feeling.It gives you a baseline on what is needed to improve upon. You should not take as the end of the world or your life. Nor should you allow the exam to define as a person. Because you are more than that. You should take 3 month break and come back to it and use the current exam when it is release as your baseline. Don't jump into immediately study for the test mode. Just relax for now and comeback to it later.